Discuss Bathroom backer boards in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

hi Rich,so does this mean to say that for the last god no how many years i have not been dooing the job right theese backer boards do you know how long they have been around? just finished a job today where it states on the tile boxes to use ply on wooden floors and also use pva to seal it with {whitch i dont use by the way}, been tiling a long time now but im always willing to listen

R

Rich

Did you read all the replies to that thread? Had some brilliant responses from guys that know a lot more than me. The problem is really the poor quality of the ply on the market now a days. I do not tile straight onto ply anymore as I have seen so many failures (thankfully not with my own work) when tiles have been laid onto ply. The backer boards give a fantastic surface to tile onto and for the price I think they are well worth using. A very large percentage of my work is correcting failed installations and 9 times out of 10 tiles have lost their bond to a ply back round.

This isnt to say that every floor tiled straight onto ply is doomed, but if using backer boards reduces the risk of failures then I think its worth it.

M

MickFussey3

I am taking up the floor boards because if I put the backing board or the ply on top of the existing floorboards then the tiles I would have at least a 16mm if not more of a trip hazard into my bathroom.
As I explain in the previous email there is only 22mm to play with to the height of hallway threshold, I want as little trip as poss , so I have decided with the help of all to take up the floorboards put noggin's in frequently, lay 12mm ply screwed to the joists & noggin's, then water proof membrane stuck to the ply, 6mm backing boards stuck and screwed to the ply and not the joists then 10mm tiles giving me 6mm threshold. When I lay my new carpet I will put a chamfered gradual wedge under the carpet to lose the trip.What do you think ? is that solid enough or will it crack???

C

chille

think i will stick to what i know works best,old school hard to change Rich all this newish stuff who knows,why fix it if its not broken

I can see where your coming from, but if we all believed/carried on with the things we did 5 years ago there would be no improvements. It wasn't that long ago that asbestos was the best thing to use for a whole load of things, now we know different and try to improve on things.

C

chille

I am taking up the floor boards because if I put the backing board or the ply on top of the existing floorboards then the tiles I would have at least a 16mm if not more of a trip hazard into my bathroom.
As I explain in the previous email there is only 22mm to play with to the height of hallway threshold, I want as little trip as poss , so I have decided with the help of all to take up the floorboards put noggin's in frequently, lay 12mm ply screwed to the joists & noggin's, then water proof membrane stuck to the ply, 6mm backing boards stuck and screwed to the ply and not the joists then 10mm tiles giving me 6mm threshold. When I lay my new carpet I will put a chamfered gradual wedge under the carpet to lose the trip.What do you think ? is that solid enough or will it crack???

I really hope it works ok for you, but if it was my house 12mm ply on top of joists wouldn't even be considered. If you want to avoid a 16mm step up then use Karndean or something similar

M

Mike

12mm ply is not thick enough to prevent deflection, you need at least 15mm (bs standards)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom backer boards in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I have recently started the task of renovating the bathroom in my flat and am at...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB