Discuss Bathroom Chipboard floors - what do you do?? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

SteveyJ

Hi all

For years now, I've been over plying chipboard floors in bathrooms, and never had any failures (to my knowledge :thumbsup:) and all is good, but recently customers have been talking to me about the raised height level etc, especially if I then overlay 4mm marmox board to repel the UFH cable heat upwards to the tile then SLC etc. So really just wondered what you all regularly do, alot of the time removing existing chipboard floor isn't cost or time effectiove especially if its tongue and groove and runs under partition walls.

So what thickness WPB do you use for overplying?
Never used it on timber but will a de-coupling membrane work well on existing chipboard?
Can I use a thinner ply if I lay a de-coupling membrane over the top?

Thanks Steve

R

Rookery

Hi all

For years now, I've been over plying chipboard floors in bathrooms, and never had any failures (to my knowledge :thumbsup:) and all is good, but recently customers have been talking to me about the raised height level etc, especially if I then overlay 4mm marmox board to repel the UFH cable heat upwards to the tile then SLC etc. So really just wondered what you all regularly do, alot of the time removing existing chipboard floor isn't cost or time effectiove especially if its tongue and groove and runs under partition walls.

So what thickness WPB do you use for overplying?
Never used it on timber but will a de-coupling membrane work well on existing chipboard?
Can I use a thinner ply if I lay a de-coupling membrane over the top?

Thanks Steve

What thickness ply have you been using up to now?

S

SteveyJ

Sorry to re-ignite this but posted then had computer issues and now all back and running now so will re-comment if ok?!?!

So is that the route you guys all go - 6mm hardi, but if its going over existing timber tongue and groove for example or even chipboard you cant use an SPF to stick it can you???

Could I use say a thin overply, then self-level if required then some ditra??

Steve

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Yes you can mate, the adhesive is there simply to fill any voids, it's the screws that do the sticking!
I use Hardi 250 or No More Ply and use No More Ply's mega strength glue to stick em down with and then use their screws.
Don't use screws over 25mm or you risk hitting pipes, 25mm turbo gold from screwfix are a cheaper alternative.

C

Concrete guy

I always used to fit 12mm Aquapanel glued and screwed then tape the joints. But most of my work was stone so I wouldn't consider 6mm.

The idea of using SPF is not only to deal with shear loads but also vibration and deflection.

More often than not I would get oak thresholds made to the thickness of the door to take up and height issues, either flat or sloped to take up any height issues.

Surrey
Bit confused here - you have a bathroom floor that is boarded with plain floor boards, or even T&G - it's pretty solid but there will be at least some movement, so you decide to overlay with a cement board of some kind and laid on a bed of SPF to take up undulations and also enable you to flatten and level the floor at the same time, handy bonus.

Why do you screw it down too? anything that comes into contact with SPF is usually stuck fast :smilewinkgrin:

I think I've worked out that SPF actually means single part flexible :hurray: I usually use Mapei Pro Flexible, I wouldn't want to try and take up cement boards stuck down with this stuff - are screws really necessary?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom Chipboard floors - what do you do?? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Got a kitchen floor to do and it consists of a concrete floor which then meets a timber floor...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope you can help me ... My kitchen was tiled over concrete floor but tiles were...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB