Discuss Bathroom First Tiling JOb in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Greg22

I am about to start my first DIY Tiling Job for my motherinlaw, the job is for tiling 2x walls floor to ceiling and 1x wall to justabove the window. The walls have been newly plastered, there are only 2 pipescoming out of the wall where the shower unit fits so is not too complicated, Ijust need a litte advice to start me off.

1. At present the shower base has not been installed, is it best for this to befitted first or Tile then fit the base?. My thinking is fit the base firstincase there are any problems installing.

2. The water pipes that supply the shower are still open, I believe that theyneed to be protected with some insulation/Duck Tape to stop any corrosion, I don't know what cement/plaster product I should use to cover these pipes over to allow me to tile over them, also will there be any expansion problems once this is done?. (See pictures)

3. At present there is no skirting board fitted, there is about a 2" gap between the floor and the plastered wall, mother inlaw wants the tiles laid down to the floor which is going to have vinyl laid, I don't think it will look that good, can skirting be bonded to the tile if needed.

Once I ge these questions answered I think I will be ready to get started.

All and any advice greatly apreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1298.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1301.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 56
O

Olz

Shower tray fitted first then tile down to it, Tiles can go down to floor, I prefer this in bathrooms, and its common for plasterers to not do the last couple of inches, I was under the impression this is to stop moisture from the floor travelling up the wall.

Bit late know I know, but you would have been better not having the walls your tiling plastered, and instead used a cement board.

Are you going to tank the walls around shower area?

M

Mike Mike

Hello Greg, agree with Oli, definitely fit the shower tray first and then tile onto it, otherwise you will not get a good seal.

Yes, you can affix skirting board to tiles either with silicone or No More Nails. Even sticks on glazed ceramic tiles, no problems.

Never seen a plumber leave pipework exposed like that, they usually fill in any chasing out channels. I have only ever seen them use a gypsum based filler, and flexible plastic sleeving on the pipework, applied BEFORE they couple joints, or fix the pipework to the wall, nailed in your case). I'm not sure what you can realistically do given how it has been left, other than fill it in as it is??? Maybe someone else knows what British Standards say about filling in submerged pipework

Finally, you need to tank the shower walls before you tile though, gypsum plaster is water sensitive. Check out some of the sponsors here, like PHG Wetrooms, or Dural for ideas on which type of tanking kit you need (they are very simple to apply, and cost less than £100 and give you peace of mind that the substrate will not get water damaged).

Good luck!

G

Greg22

Oli, Mike thanks for that I know what need to be done just want that bit of advice to back up what I think, the mother inlaw had the bathroom plastered, I wasn't involved at that stage but I'll remember the cement board for next time. I will be tanking now you've mentioned it. I'm going to see if I can get some plastic sleeve to fit over the piping , not sure if there's enough room though as they are not that deep!.

Thats great thanks.

I expect I'll be back once I've started, I'll post some finished pictures to get some honest feedback on what you think.

Greg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom First Tiling JOb in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB