Discuss Bathroom Floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

PaulR

I've used this forum about 10 months ago to sort out my shower and bathroom walls, so I'm hoping you'll point me in the right direction now with the floor

I have some good quality ceramic floor tiles already in place on the bathroom floor, however as I found with the walls, the grout used is
a) rubbish, not fleixbile and not waterproof
b) gradually breaking down and coming away, so much so I regularly pick bits up and out

My question is, given that I've not had leakage problems or stability problems, should I pick out all the crap grout and regrout using a good quality flexible waterproof grout, of which I know the stuff I used on the walls of the shower is good and I can probably have a bash myself, or realistically is there more needed here!

thanks

D

Deleted member 9966

hi Paul

Were the floor tiles already down or did you lay them yourself? If you laid them yourself, do you remember what grout you used?

If you didn't lay the tiles, you can always re-grout, opting for a flexible grout. It can be hard work to pull all the existing grout out without damaging the tiles, but if you're careful enough, it could be a days work. So long as the floor tiles are stuck solid, re-grouting is fairly straightforward.

I'd say have a bash. I got into tiling by re-grouting a kitchen and a bathroom, and then occasionally had tiles ping off mid way through the grout raking!

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PaulR

Hi

Already laid, in a loft conversion.

Having experienced the previous problems I had with same tiles and same grout on the walls, I'm going to guess a normal non flexible grout was used

The tiles all seem very solid and I feel like I can rake them quite easily. The grout I want to use is called
Mapei UltraColor Plus Flexible Grout

also, turns out he tiles are porcelian if that makes any difference!!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom Floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB