Discuss Bathroom Floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

ah666

Hi, I have read through various threads here, and I have successfully tiled a couple of bathroom floors however I am about to embark on a new bathroom floor and want to now the ideal method if I was to start from scratch, here is the current scenario

• The floorboards (chipboard) in our bedroom and ensuite bathroom creak whenever we walk around
  • The bathroom and bedroom are an extension over a double garage
  • I can feel some deflection when I jump up and down on the bathroom floor
Here’s what I am proposing to do :
  • I am going to take up all floor boards in both bathroom and bedroom
  • Install insulation in the void
  • Install some extra timber alongside the joists to improve the rigidity (I have read this will help)
  • Replace the floor in the bedroom with new chipboard
However when it comes to the bathroom as I want to tile and possibly lay underfloor heating (wet if possible) what is the best method ?
I assume I will have to try and improve rigidity as per the bedroom
In the previous two bathrooms I have done I have fixed Hardibacker over the top of the existing chipboard floor (didn’t have deflection issues and followed instructions on here)

But I now have clean sheet of paper, so do I
  • fit chipboard and then hardibacker
  • just use thicker hardibacker
  • use ply and no hardibacker etc.
I don’t really want the bathroom floor to be significantly higher than the bedroom floor so does this rule out underfloor heating ? (as I assume this would go between the floorboards and tiles and not below the floor boards, a novice when it comes to underfloor heating, will get someone in to do it if I go wet, but like to know what I am talking about)

Your thoughts and suggestions gratefully appreciated

Reply to Bathroom Floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB