Discuss Bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JCH

Hi all

I need some advice please. We're redoing our bathroom, we had a seperate toilet to the bathroom but now we've made it one big room, so now we can fit a shower in, I've bought a 1200 x 800 preformed wetroom tray for the shower. The shower will be in a corner of the bathroom and will have a glass screen along the longest side with a small (smaller than the width of the shower) swivel panel on the end. Our floorboards are 20mm thick and in good condition, joists are about 400mm centres. We've chosen some porcelain floor tiles that are 500x300 and am trying to find a matching mosaic tiles for the shower tray. I'd aslo like to put a underfloor heating mat in and already have a tanking kit.

Could you tell me what I need to do to the floor. I was thinking of 12mm overboarding the floor, priming and applying the tanking, laying the underdfloor heating and then tiling.

I've read lots about the use of SLC and plastic matting that detaches the tiles from the substrate but am not sure about the SLC and the shower tray and I'd like not to bring the floor level up too much. I've also seen that people remove the floorboards and replace with 18mm ply.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
james

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Yes it's 20mm thick.

I forgot to mention the size of the bathroom previously. Not including the shower tray and once the bath is in there will be about 2.5sqm to tile.

Thank

Without seeing what you're up against its always difficult to advise when it comes to "structural" prep.

What I would be leaning toward doing is removing all the current floor boards. Set your tray onto the joists. Fill in between the joists under the tray buy adding supports to the current joists and boarding to bring that area flush. It is imperative that you fully support the tray.

Add plenty of extra noggins and support between the joists for the remaining floor area. Then board over with 15mm WBP ply. Most would suggest 18, but by using 15 you can then glue and screw 6mm hardiebacker over the ply and this will only hring you marginally above the tray height. However, if you use a thicker bed for the tray than the hbb you can get this almost spot on.

Then with a two part waterproof coat such as Ardex WPC I would do the whole floor area and within the wetarea.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I'll be honest, I've never run UFH into a wetarea. I have an idea of how I would do it but ill wait and see if someone else pipes up for you. But FYI I would probably use a fibre based SLC and let it stand in the bucket for a bit to naturally start to stiffen, then trowel it over to try and keep the form of the tray.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB