Discuss Bathroom Floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

E

Enzman

Hi all, i will be doing my 1st job soon in a big bathroom. Shower already tiled and they need to be removed.

How much should you charge for removing old tiles?

Whats best method for removing the old rock hard adhesive on the wall?

If floor needs to be tiled, whats the best option? At the minute its carpet on floor boards. Do i prepare floor with 12mm ply? Do i put anything under the ply first? Is it best to pull out toilet and sink? How do you resolve the height diffrence if floor needs to have ply board plus adhesive and tiles compared to the landing floor. Be a slight step up yes?

Soz for the stupid questions guys...

B

bigdaz

just be aware if screwing into joists, there may be water pipes going through them.
removing tiles you would charge at day rate, half if only half a days worth.
you can remove with hammer and cold chisel or sds drill with chisel fitted but either way there is likely to be some damage to the wall surface which may need some plasterwork depending on how bad so you should prepare your customer for this extra cost
its always best to remove the porcelain fittings before tiling if possible

P

plumbersmate

Hi all, i will be doing my 1st job soon in a big bathroom. Shower already tiled and they need to be removed.

How much should you charge for removing old tiles?

Whats best method for removing the old rock hard adhesive on the wall?

If floor needs to be tiled, whats the best option? At the minute its carpet on floor boards. Do i prepare floor with 12mm ply? Do i put anything under the ply first? Is it best to pull out toilet and sink? How do you resolve the height diffrence if floor needs to have ply board plus adhesive and tiles compared to the landing floor. Be a slight step up yes?

Soz for the stupid questions guys...
hi, enzman, i use a kango drill to remove tiles, it also disturbs the old adhesive, and then hammer and chisel for the remaining adhesive. a bathroom completely tiled can take some time, and care! so £80 or there abouts. the walls will almost cetainly need plastering, so advise the customer and work this into your schedule as you'll have to be doing something else while the plaster dries.

D

Daz

Hi Enzman,

For tile removal (as previously stated) I would always charge a day rate and prepare the customer that there will be a cost for making the wall good again (labour + rapid set smoothing compound).

As for the floor, unless the floorboards are a rigid tongue and groove, I would always overboard with ply, hardi or wedi at 300 mm (min) centres. If possible I would advise the customer to make arrangements for the sanitarywear to have been removed (or network with a local plumber and get him to do it). The height difference can be sorted by choosing the right kind of floor edging strip, just look at the selection available at B&Q etc..

Good luck, take your time and the result will be blinding!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom Floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB