Discuss Bathroom flooring HELP!! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Smileysmile

I have a new build house so the bathroom is not big. Its small infact but functional.
Here is my dilemma.

Bath and shower all replaced. Floor to ceiling tiled but few tiles I wasn't happy with had to be replaced (not the best tiler that I hired).
Neutral bone porcelain tiles. 60cm x 30cm.

Tiler had tiled onto the original 18mm chipboard floor so he left a 15mm or so under the bottom wall tiles. The odd tile sunk, grouting cracked. You knew it was going to happen, right? DOH!!

Call yourself a tiler? Well I never knew you shouldn't tile on chipboard etc. So I personally ripped all tiles up with the the chunks of chipboard attached. I replaced all the floor (had to again remove the bath) and replaced with 18mm chipboard.
I now have that gap of 15mm under bottom wall tiles.
I am reluctant on putting new tiles down 'cos of the height between the bathroom flooring (after additionally adding backerboard or ply down) and the landing carpet.

My question is: If I was to lay tiles down which would reduce the gap below the bottom wall tiles so would be a neater fit rather than vinyl (no skirting).
I understand BB would be better than ply but I have read and reread conflicting advice on what size boards to use. 6mm BB would be better then tiles layed on top as not to have much of a height to the landing carpet.

Lastly, If in the future the tiles needed to be removed then if one has to glue the BB to the chipboard flooring then wouldn't this cause problems? Or would the tiles be easily removed from only the BB?

Thanks in advance.

S

Smileysmile

Thanks. The gap should be fine as it was there because of the original floor tiles.
The existing floor is secured good.

But what about the height consisting of backerboard and tile adhesive/tiles compared to meeting up with landing carpet? Anybody reading this have this problem and IS IT really a problem?

Lastly as mentioned in my OP what if the tiles needed to be brought up in the future? I know what would happen if it was glued to chipboard. :sick2:

H

heavytrevy

yep waterproofing, sure the chipboard has that coating but not on the edges where its been cut to fit, chipboard swells horrendously and wiil pop tiles even with the cement sheeting on top.
grab some brush on waterproofin and apply after uve nailed and glued the cement sheeting down.
here is alot more detail, http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/SiteColle...s/Tech Info/Waterproofing Standard AS3740.pdf

If you follow this u will have no water issues

trev

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom flooring HELP!! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB