Discuss Bathroom refit advice in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

markyrp

Hi All,

I'm doing my first bathroom refit and was looking for some advice before I start tiling.

New bath fitted and supported by feet mounted on 3 x 2 timber supports and batten running around 3 sides of the bath. Walls to be tiled have been tanked and I have put silicon between bath and walls with bath full.

The first question I suppose is whether to tile the floor first or not.

The 2nd question is whether or not you would start first row of tiles above the bath and would they be fitted with the bath empty or would you put water in the bath first. It is an acrylic bath and even with the support I have put in place, there appears to be a little bit of flex. I don't want to leave a gap between the bath and tile only to find a large gap when bath is filled.

My last question is on the best way to seal between the tile and bath. I don't want to use tile trim. I would rather have tile going straight down to the bath. The reason I ask is that I have had issues in the past with silicon sealant peeling off acrylic baths. Is there a specific or recommended sealant that has good adhesion to acrylic.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

R

Russell brown

I always tile the walls first leaving the bottom cut to the floor. I then tile the floor and finish the bottom cuts to the floor as I think it's neater this way. If I have decent cuts to the ceiling and floor I'll start with a full tile, if not a cut. I tile with an empty bath, after I've grouted up I then fill the bath and silicone leaving the bath full over night while the silicone goes off.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Tbh if your bath moves that much it ain't fitted properly. ...I would not fill it to tile I would leave a small gap to the bath only a millimetre or two then silcone with the bath full but like I said it shouldn't move that much if fitted correctly.....use dow cornering or mapei silicone make sure it bone dry and it should stick no problem..

M

markyrp

Thanks,
I placed a batten on the edge of the bath when empty and marked the wall above. Filled the bath and checked my line and the outside edge hasn't budged. I am happy that the bath is level and I could have a full tile as my first row above the bath.
Would I start my first row of tiles above the bath and would it be ok to sit this first row on the bath edge or do I need this 1-2mm gap between bath and tiles directly above?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom refit advice in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB