Discuss Bathroom Setting Out Advice in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jus001

Hello,

In the process of renovating my bathroom and wanted to get some advice on the best way to set out the tiles please. Tiles will be 600x400x12mm marble.

What do you think of this scheme? I've tried to centre everything around the wall with the window (which is facing you as you come through the door) and make the top and bottom rows cut tiles to take up any issues with a non-level floor and ceiling.

Will most likely get a pro in to do it but would like to have a sensible plan in place so I can fit the shower valve nicely in the centre of a tile beforehand.
bathroom-tiles.jpg

Thanks,

J

O

Old Mod

Is there any particular reason the window wall isn't centred from middle of window?
As a rule of thumbs the window is always the centre point, and with brick bond, the usual way would be to 'wrap the tiles around from there.
If u end up with a small cut into a corner it can then be adjusted to suit a little. So that it appears at least to be a complete tile wrapped around the corner, so as long as its around a 100mm or so it won't show that u've either extended or shortened the tile.
If u look at bottom right of bath wall u have a full tile (approx) then the first tile on window wall is a half tile. It doesn't really flow.
Hope that makes sense.
Also, from a personal perspective is bond the floor with the window wall,
So effectively the pattern starts at the door then continues up the window wall. That's the longest run of tiles in one go.
That would mean the tiles would be perpendicular to the tiles on the bath wall. But that won't be so noticeable, in my opinion anyway.

J

jus001

Thanks both.

So centred around the window it looks a bit like this...

bathroom-tiles2.jpg

The first option works better but still leaves a sliver above the bath and the second fixes that but causes problems around the window and the top and bottom rows come within millimetres of a full tile so probably going to cause problems too.

Would you live with the sliver above the bath or try and move everything up a little (not a huge amount of space going before you have the same problem top and bottom however) and live with it off centre on the window?

J

J Sid

Full tile of bath,
As @3_fall said, run tiles from door up window wall.
Toilet / basin wall will have every 3rd joint lining up, which joint will depend on cut following on round from window wall.
As you have done , centre window left and right but don't worry top and bottom.
Move mirror up a little to then only have one tile above, or get mirror cut to the required size.
Sorted ;)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom Setting Out Advice in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am looking for some advice on how to set out my tiles. I think I have a solution but...
Replies
Views
Dear Tilers, my husband has done a lot of tiling, but would really like your advice please. He...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi all, Due to money constraints I am having to renovate the bathroom myself. I am trying my...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Im a DIY tiler and am about to half height tile my downstairs toilet with 600x300...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB