Discuss Bathroom snagging in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

fabs35

Hi

I have just had a new bathroom installed and there are a few issues. I need some advice re whether I should insist of the builder/plumber correcting or whether I am being too fussy. Three of the porcelain wall tiles are chipped along the edges where they have been cut. I do have extra/spare tiles but not sure if I should insist on having the replaced?

Other (non-tiling) issues are one of the basin taps isn't flush against the wall and since the towel radiator was fitted, three of the radiators in the house don't turn off. Even if the heating control is off, the heaters are still going at full blast. The builder seems a bit stumped but "will see what he can do for me" - he thinks it may be a faulty thermostat but surely that would have been a problem before he starter on the bathroom plus it would affect all radiators.

I am due to pay the balance tonight and wanted you opinion on these items before I do so.

Thanks!!

I

ian158

if you have a vented system and an immession heater, some would use the bathroom rad as a vent so it would get hot all year round, when you would heat the hot water tank you could use it as a towel rail...but it does seem to be odd that the others are getting hot..the 3 way valve maybe be stuck in the airing cupboard half way so that when the boiler is heating water it will heat rads..i assume he has drained the system down to fit rad ?..it would'nt necessarily affect all rads as the downstairs ones would be fed by the pump..the upstairs would feed the upstairs rads gradually until the hot water got to its temp and the boiler would shut off as the boiler was heating the water slowly, run round rad upstairs and as heat rises it would maybe pass some into the overflow in the the loft. ..I take it you have a conventional boiler and not a condensing or combi boiler ?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fabs35

if you have a vented system and an immession heater, some would use the bathroom rad as a vent so it would get hot all year round, when you would heat the hot water tank you could use it as a towel rail...but it does seem to be odd that the others are getting hot..the 3 way valve maybe be stuck in the airing cupboard half way so that when the boiler is heating water it will heat rads..i assume he has drained the system down to fit rad ?..it would'nt necessarily affect all rads as the downstairs ones would be fed by the pump..the upstairs would feed the upstairs rads gradually until the hot water got to its temp and the boiler would shut off as the boiler was heating the water slowly, run round rad upstairs and as heat rises it would maybe pass some into the overflow in the the loft. ..I take it you have a conventional boiler and not a condensing or combi boiler ?

Thanks for the replies...

Dave - I'll post some pics tonight once I get home

John - I agree 100%. Not sure he will. (perhaps I'm being overly)

Ian - I'll check which Baxi model it is - hopefully that will tell you. The fitter said it is caused either by a faulty thermostat or there is air in the system. He said he did drain the system. Might have to get Homeserve out to check and hold back 5% from the fitter!?

I

ian158

These are the valves that are on any system...when you select heating only it will go to H...water W..HW or M both...select water only and checks its position. you can actually manually lock them into place...how old is system ? has it had a flush ? crap can lodge in these valves...if as you say he has drained it did he add any additive ? ..its good to know the basics so they don't pull wool over your eyes..air in the system would not give these symptoms...only stuck valve or bad plumbing

Attachments

• 3-Way-Mid-Position-Valve_medium.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 37
  • blue.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 39

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Regarding the tiling, speak to the fitter, definatly. I always ask my customers to snag the job before payment and if they have any concerns i can rectify them. Regarding the plumbing ask your questions on the plumbing forum, you will get the correct info there. Cheers.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
if he can get the goods in one shop..saves him the travel time though id say...if someone posts iPhone or samsung does he need to visit...what phone should I get forum ?
I see what you saying but that doesn't change the name of this forum. I would say a visit to a phone forum if there is one would answer both of those questions.

F

fabs35

Hi (apologies in advance, the return button doesn,t seem to be working so it's all in one paragraph...)
Ok - so I have a Baxi Solo 3 70 PF boiler in the kitchen. Upstairs there is a water tank/heater with some boxes attached: Grundfos selectric (x2), Xcel heatbank, Grundfos Type AT, Flexvent, Fernox, and Sunvic. Every 30minutes or so the "fan on" and "pilot on" lights turns on and off and it keeps clicking - it does this about 10 times, turning on and off every 2-3 seconds. We moved into he property about 2.5 years ago and the system was in place then - we haven't had it flushed, only serviced when we moved in. I have tried to attach pics of the water tank and the chipped tiles but it doesn't seem to be working :thumbsdown:

F

fabs35

Hi (apologies in advance, the return button doesn,t seem to be working so it's all in one paragraph...)
Ok - so I have a Baxi Solo 3 70 PF boiler in the kitchen. Upstairs there is a water tank/heater with some boxes attached: Grundfos selectric (x2), Xcel heatbank, Grundfos Type AT, Flexvent, Fernox, and Sunvic. Every 30minutes or so the "fan on" and "pilot on" lights turns on and off and it keeps clicking - it does this about 10 times, turning on and off every 2-3 seconds. We moved into he property about 2.5 years ago and the system was in place then - we haven't had it flushed, only serviced when we moved in. I have tried to attach pics of the water tank and the chipped tiles but it doesn't seem to be working :thumbsdown:

Here is a pic of the water heater and pumps... Water heater and pumps.jpg

F

fabs35

Not sure why the pics aren't appearing??

Reply to Bathroom snagging in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I had my bathroom done in September and my floor tiles have movement in them and the grout is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'm looking for some advice from the experts and hope you can help. I've just had a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB