Discuss Bathroom snagging in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

fabs35

Hi

I have just had a new bathroom installed and there are a few issues. I need some advice re whether I should insist of the builder/plumber correcting or whether I am being too fussy. Three of the porcelain wall tiles are chipped along the edges where they have been cut. I do have extra/spare tiles but not sure if I should insist on having the replaced?

Other (non-tiling) issues are one of the basin taps isn't flush against the wall and since the towel radiator was fitted, three of the radiators in the house don't turn off. Even if the heating control is off, the heaters are still going at full blast. The builder seems a bit stumped but "will see what he can do for me" - he thinks it may be a faulty thermostat but surely that would have been a problem before he starter on the bathroom plus it would affect all radiators.

I am due to pay the balance tonight and wanted you opinion on these items before I do so.

Thanks!!

I

ian158

Hi (apologies in advance, the return button doesn,t seem to be working so it's all in one paragraph...)
Ok - so I have a Baxi Solo 3 70 PF boiler in the kitchen. Upstairs there is a water tank/heater with some boxes attached: Grundfos selectric (x2), Xcel heatbank, Grundfos Type AT, Flexvent, Fernox, and Sunvic. Every 30minutes or so the "fan on" and "pilot on" lights turns on and off and it keeps clicking - it does this about 10 times, turning on and off every 2-3 seconds. We moved into he property about 2.5 years ago and the system was in place then - we haven't had it flushed, only serviced when we moved in. I have tried to attach pics of the water tank and the chipped tiles but it doesn't seem to be working :thumbsdown:

thats a heat exchanger..do you have solar panels ? fernox means its been treated...time to call heat save..I hope when they drained the system they switched off the boiler !

Last edited by a moderator:
I

ian158

Looks like they used nippers on that one above the window. Very very poor!! What's the rest of the install like? Flat? Lippage?

looks like they used a 5" grinder with diamond wheel.. if they cut from top it chips hard tiles..especially when dry cutting..the other chip is they have drilled from back..id guess because they marked on the back....i use masking tape to mark on front, they used back to mark, drilled from back, hence chipped tile

C

charlie1

looks like they used a 5" grinder with diamond wheel.. if they cut from top it chips hard tiles..especially when dry cutting..the other chip is they have drilled from back..id guess because they marked on the back....i use masking tape to mark on front, they used back to mark, drilled from back, hence chipped tile

Yes, they have probably committed to full cut rather than one or two passes to cleanly slice through the glaze. Those cuts should have been done using dry cutter anyway for perfect finish. How do these guys sleep at night??

F

fabs35

Thanks Guys.

Quick update - they came round last night to discuss the outstanding issues. They have agreed to come back on Monday and to replace 4 of the 6 tiles - the other two will be covered with sealant.

Re the heating, I'm not sure exactly what they did/didn't do. What's the best way to try to resolve this?

@ Ian - No solar panels fitted. What is heat save?

I have a policy with homeserve - best option might be to call them out.

Cheers

F

fabs35

Did the builders change the rad or get a plumber in....tell them they need to pay for a plumber to sort it out...an easy fix I reckon..sorry I meant Homeserve, but its not your problem..its the builders.

They fitted it themselves - getting a plumber in would be ideal but unlikely. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a tennis match between them and Homeserve!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom snagging in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I had my bathroom done in September and my floor tiles have movement in them and the grout is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'm looking for some advice from the experts and hope you can help. I've just had a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB