Discuss bathroom tiling - any advice appreciated in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

Re: any advice appreciated

What are the walls made from, if they are plasterboard you are quicker ripping the whole lot off and reboarding. If plaster then you may find a lot of it comes away with the tiles so you will either have to skim up with rapidset or dot n dab plasterboard up.

White star will be fine. if you are skimming over plaster with the rapid set, you will need to prime with APD.

G

GazTech

cheers grumpy... if i do have to dot and dab over existing plaster. can i use rapid set? sorry for being dumb, but i havent had the pleasure of doing this yet
cheers folks
Hi connors, you can dot and dab plasterboard onto existing plaster, but prime with apd first. If they choose a porcelain tile White star is not the one, prime the board and use single part adhesive....Gaz

G

GazTech

do i have to prime the back of the plaster board first.....???? i am perplexed aswell.
The answer to the question is yes you can use rapid to dot and dab boards if primed, boards and plaster...I would do this with the regular tilers stuff on the van, drywall adhesive isn't usually one of them...using drywall adhesive needs no primer at all...:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GazTech

T

The D

I went to bed last night hoping that when I got up this thread would have gone and it was all just a bad dream. But it is still hear!
Now hare is my problem since joining this forum I have come to respect the opinions of certain forum members, as on the posts that I have read they are giving good sound advice but on this issue I am very disappointed.
It was late and you’d had a long day but pleas tell me you are not seriously saying it is ok to dot and dab plasterboard on to a plastered wall with just a bit of rapid set and a lick of primer.
This makes a mockery of the fixing guidelines not to mention the weight issue. And it is not just this one thread it has been said a number of times by several different members.
On the record I disagree with you all. Thin set rapid set adhesive is not suitable for dabbing plasterboard and if you are dabbing on to skimmed walls use board adhesive and mechanically fix as well.

G

GazTech

I went to bed last night hoping that when I got up this thread would have gone and it was all just a bad dream. But it is still hear!
Now hare is my problem since joining this forum I have come to respect the opinions of certain forum members, as on the posts that I have read they are giving good sound advice but on this issue I am very disappointed.
It was late and you’d had a long day but pleas tell me you are not seriously saying it is ok to dot and dab plasterboard on to a plastered wall with just a bit of rapid set and a lick of primer.
This makes a mockery of the fixing guidelines not to mention the weight issue. And it is not just this one thread it has been said a number of times by several different members.
On the record I disagree with you all. Thin set rapid set adhesive is not suitable for dabbing plasterboard and if you are dabbing on to skimmed walls use board adhesive and mechanically fix as well.
The original question was a board going in between units Deanotile. I wouldnt endorse doing a whole room because of the cost. If primed to separate gypsum board from cement based addy, the boards can be fixed with rapid set or any cement based adhesive....Gaz

T

The D

Yes con, dot and dab with rapid if primed, yes to white star if not porcelain ....:thumbsup:
I have tried my best to ignore this one but it is just wrong. Firstly the recommended bed depth for rapid set is 6mm so if you are thinking of using rapid set for dabbing plasterboard you should not exceed 10mm in isolated arrears whereas the correct product “dry wall adhesive” is designed to do this job.
My second bone of contention is skimmed plaster has a weight limit of 20kg per square meter. If you just dab plasterboard over the top you have not given yourself 32kg but have decreased the 20kg by the weight of the adhesive and the plasterboard.
If any body is uncertain as to whether rapid set is suitable for dabbing plasterboard give the BAL technical support a ring 0845 600 1 222 as I did today and you should get the same answer as me
(no it is not)

Oh yeah the original post was not boarding in-between units it was boarding a bathroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

Deano quote; On the record I disagree with you all. Thin set rapid set adhesive is not suitable for dabbing plasterboard and if you are dabbing on to skimmed walls use board adhesive and mechanically fix as well.

You obviously did'nt read my post then

whitebeam quote; I would use dry wall adhesive to stick the boards and do a few machanical fixings thru the dabs of ahesive when there've set into the existing brick wall

Reply to bathroom tiling - any advice appreciated in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB