Discuss Bathroom tiling nightmare - HELP in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mrs. Buckets

Hi there,
A bit of professional advice needed please. We moved into a flat about 2,5 years ago and the bathroom had been newly refurbished. Already for about a year now I had been looking at the grouting getting "porous" and beginning to crack. Some of the tiles seemed to start poking out as well. It was only after a leak was apparent on the other side of the bathroom wall that we decided to take the bathpanel apart (no access hatch...) to see what was going on and it seemed there had indeed been a leak for a while as the drylining (?) was grooved around the bath. Initially I thought that the silicone around the bath and the shower screen was faulty so I redid this and when that didn't work it became apparent it was the grouting that was leaking.
I then went ahead and removed the tiles from two of the walls and that wasn't too hard at all as the drylining (I am assuming that is what it is; very thin plastered type of layer - I am a woman with no experience in these things) under the tiles was so wet it was practically off the wall. We are now looking to have someone come and tile the walls for us (a problem in itself finding someone...) but what I really want to know is how can we make sure the walls are protected in the future. What material to use under the tiles, is there specific grouting etc. I would like to be armed with some information so I can also vet anyone who might eventually come and quote for the job. We are pretty desperate as we (2 adults and 2 kids) are currently having shower hunkering in the bath so as not to get the walls wet.. Also if you can recommend someone willing to do this in W9 with a rock solid reputation and skills I would be very grateful!
Sorry for the long saga but I really don't know where to turn to.. HELP!
Thanks for any comments you would take the time out to write.
Buckets

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom tiling nightmare - HELP in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, hoping someone can help with advice. We purchased 600 x 600 tiles for our bathroom floor...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB