Discuss Bathroom Tiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

robinsoncrusoe

Hello there, everybody...
I'm just, in it getting set up to do my first tiling job!!. I've fully boarded the bathroom, which has got 1 upvc window in it.
I intend to fit a "mosaic style border, approx 300mm down, from the ceiling. there will be no bath... only a shower cubicle etc.
I've decided where to position the tiles, (already obtained, 248mm x 398 mm), have purchased 40kg Mapei super flexible white, 6mm notched trowel, borrowed wet tile cutter....so, now, just need a bit of courage to start !!
I was planning to start on the window wall, but need some advice first....The tiles are 8 mm thick, the tile bead/edging for the external corners, at the local suppliers, is in various sizes..... seems like my choice is between 9.5 mm, or 12 mm, but the 12 mm looks quite big, and bulky...
does 9.5 mm edging sound like the right size?, and when I fit it, does it go on the wall, or the window reveal?, do I leave a gap to grout, between tile edge, and the tile trim?, or butt right up to the tile, with no grout?.
Is it best to mix adhesive with drill and "mixer", or can i do it, with a trowel?
Should I leave a gap where the tiles meet the window frame, and fill with grout, or small bead of silicone, or....?
....and if there's any more tips/hints etc.... would be very grateful

Sorry about the long post !!, but I really want to do the best job, i possibly can, and be proud of it!

Thanks

C

charlie1

I thought that the whole point of a forum, was to "be informed", I may have asked a lot of questions, which I assume is quite natural, if someone is trying to obtain information about a subject, that they don't know much about.i

If you found these questions so irritating, then why did you continue to read them?

Gaining information is one thing, taking it and using it is quite something else! I gain information about train times or weather etc... You cannot hope to gain enough information about tiling to complete a job to a professional level, I've now been learning to tile for over 5 years and still improving.... Do you honestly think I'm going to you my trade secrets. I think at best you may be able to do the job to a decent DIY standard but that's all.... I do get irritated by people thinking they can gain knowledge and do a pro job....it ain't gonna happen lol

Good luck though

R

robinsoncrusoe

Thanks very much Martino! ...... as you say, if I don't try, I won't learn anything !......I'm not looking for perfection (would be nice !), just the satisfaction, that I've had a go and done the best I can, and tried to avoid any obvious unplanned mistakes.....
and I will continue to ask questions, I was always told as a kid.... " if you don't ask, you don't learn".

Many Thanks again for your positive response! :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom Tiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi - I am a homeowner trying to resolve an issue and get to the best finished professional...
Replies
Views
Hello All, First post in this forum so forgive me if this has already been posted before. From...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB