Discuss Bathroom tiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

I have a two fold question:
Is it stipulated in building regs that you have to use water resistant plasterboard in a bathroom?
If ordinary plasterboard is used, sealed correctly and tiled over with waterproof adhesive and grout, what is the proabability of water getting behind the tiles and damaging the plasterboard inside a shower enclosure? What time period would you expect this to happen over?
Thanks for your help.

S

SnipSnap

Maybe the customers need to see what it could happen if plasterboard are used and no tanking or waterproof membrane is not used.

Also if they are not prepared to pay more for allowing grouting on the next day.

Attachments

• bad-idea.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 56
N

Northern Bird

There was a great article in professional builder a few months ago which states

"BS5385-1:1995 Wall and floor tiling part 1 code of practise for the design installation of internal ceramic and natural stone wall tiling and mosaics in normal conditions (Section 3.1.2.6) states that sheets such as platerboard, plywood and chipboard that are not dimensionally stable with changing humidity should not be used in wet or damp conditions.

-------------------------------------------------

Section 3.2.4.3 states that plasterboard should not become damp wither during storage or after installation and BS 5385-4: 1992 Wall and floor tiling part 4: Code of practice for tiling in mosaics in specific conditions (Section 6.4) adds that water resistant materials should be used throughout and be capable of withstanding continous contact with water without deterioration.

----------------------------------------------

Ceramic tiles are 40% porous and natural stone are up to 60% porous.

One of the biggest callbacks the NHBC have is to failures in the bathroom!

--------------------------------------------------

Hopefully some of this info will help

:yes:

D

Deleted member 1779

We just used normal plasterboard to get the shape of the room and marine ply for strength in some areas. Quite a mix! Oh and untreated batons 2x4's

shower3.jpg

And a BAL tanking kit on everything.

shower1.jpg

Once tiled the tanking should prevent water ingress to anything behind the unit. And to be fair mine was done in 2004 used every day.

But I guess as materials have improved they should be considered. I just did it for ease of install.

N

Northern Bird

Maybe the customers need to see what it could happen if plasterboard are used and no tanking or waterproof membrane is not used.

Also if they are not prepared to pay more for allowing grouting on the next day.

I know it doesnt help much now you have done it but in our training with the stores we show off the waterbaths. Then ask the customer what would happen to plasterboard and plywood in these situations!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom tiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB