Discuss Bathroom walls and floor and Granfix in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Z

zzr-matt

Its been a few years since I was last on here but I'm back as I have another bathroom to do :) This time I'm using 300 x 600 porcelain tiles. The local tile place is a Granfix stockist. They used to be Mapei so previously I used Primer G, Keraflex Maxi and Keraquick with latex additive. Whats Granfix like compared to Mapei?

This one has a selection of issues:
1. The walls are 75mm light weight blocks with a 10mm render with a 3mm skim on top. Unfortunately the skim is not stuck to the render and just comes away. The render (not sure if thats the correct name) is hard but feels a bit dusty to the touch. Much like if someone had just blown a load of building dust over it. Once I have scraped all the skim off I assume I can prime this and tile straight on?

2. I need to build a small section of stud wall in a shower enclosure. I was going for aquapanel onto the studs, tape the joints then tank the area before tiling. Does that sound ok?

3. The flooring is a mixture of P4 / P5 chipboard on joists at 450 centres. I was going to go over this with 12mm ply screwed to the joists and chipboard below but from what I have now read on here no more ply 6mm may be the way to go? Does this need to be glued and screwed?

Can anyone recommend the best Granfix adhesive to use for the above?

Z

zzr-matt

Hi chaps, one of the rendered walls is savagely out of plumb. The top of the wall is around 30mm further in to the room than the bottom. I was going to plasterboard this with the board making contact at the top of the wall, and then varying thickness's of horizontal battens at 450mm spacing going down the wall. Is that the easiest way given that I probably cant dot and dab as there is nothing for the adhesive to bond to?

Z

zzr-matt

My 1 day a week glacial progress continutes.

All the skim is removed and the wonky wall has been d and d and mech fixed. Ive then applied a mapei tanking kit in the shower area so finally its time to buy the tiles and addy.

The tiles are from the tile depot and are 300 x 600 mm voranda porcelain.

Id like to buy adhesive and tiles from the same place so it seems to leave me either own brand ronnie or a granfix adhesive. Any recommendations on either of them?

Do i have to prime the tanked area before tiling or only the non tanked?

Cheers for all the help so far.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom walls and floor and Granfix in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB