Discuss Bathroom - what to use HELP!! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DinkyDavo

Hi,

I live in a new build been here roughly 6 years and now expecting our first born.

Iwe currently have carpet over the Vinyl floor. But this is looking tired. Got some Porcelain tiles from B&Q which were discounted. But unsure what adhesive / grout to use.

The Vinyl is a one piece glued to a wooden floor and has no give or foam underneath. So I am hoping can tile straight over this.

Just need some advice on what adhesive and grout I get and to buy to prep the vinyl floor. The room is only 2m squared, tiles are a off white marble look.

Thanks

Dave

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Vinyl will need to come up, and you'll need to see what 'wood' it is underneath. It'll probably need over-boarding with marine plywood. And then you'll need to use a two-part cement-based adhesive that uses a polymer additive to make it flexible. And one that's suitable to fixing porcelain too as they have a very very low absorption rate so a normal cement based adhesive wont cut the mustard.

Then a flexible grout too.

Wait for the lads to contribute too though as I don't tile any more. They'll be able to recommend adhesive and whatnot.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Hi Dave,

The best advice is the correct advice and that would be:
Remove carpet
Remove vinyl
Secure wooden floor with screws into joists
Overboard with a 6mm cement board eg: NoMorePly or Hardibacker 250
Tile with a cement bagged flexible adhesive suitable for porcelain
Grout with a flexible grout
Job done

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Okay,
Have a brew
Remove carpet
Have another cuppa halfway through removing carpet grippers after needle sticking yourself 5 times
Remove vinyl - easier said than done so have the kettle on standby.
Secure wooden floor with screws into joists
Overboard with a 6mm cement board eg: NoMorePly or Hardibacker 250
Set out and dry lay some tiles
Have a brew
Tile with a cement bagged flexible adhesive suitable for porcelain
Have a pint of Stella or 3 and grout in the morning!
Grout with a flexible grout
Job done

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Thanks will do... It just that I read a couple of forums and goodies that it is possible to tile over as long as vinyl is one piece and has no give.

You can't tile over vinyl. And if you could, your wood isn't rigid enough.

Vinyl needs to come up, and wood needs to be made more rigid to prevent deflection along with preventing expansion and retraction popping the tiles off at a later date.

You only want to do this once so do it right.

Not sure what forums are advising you can tile over vinyl. They need pop over here and learn the facts I think.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Thanks will do... It just that I read a couple of forums and goodies that it is possible to tile over as long as vinyl is one piece and has no give.

It's not ideal but I have done it on occasion on cement screed using a slurry coat of primer and a highly flexible adhesive. Your bathroom floor will most likely be chipboard so would always remove vinyl and sort that out and then overboard.
For such a small area it would be mad not to lift.

Hi DinkyDavo youwill be glad you took good advise then,i missed your post last week but for anybody that is thinking that they can tile over vinyl,please dont do it ,you will also find out that in most cases the vinyl will only be glued around the edges and maybe a couple of silicone lines in the middle if your lucky,so you did the right thing

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bathroom - what to use HELP!! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Hello need some help had a new bathroom done though a builder and the tiling does not look like...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB