Discuss Being held to ransom in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

turnip

TF
Arms
I feel for you all, just binned a builder last year who had been one of our major accounts, very good money, but terrible site conditions, idiotic site management and 60-80 days payment terms. Glad to be away from them cos the stress is a killer! the last job we done no other tiling contractor would touch them for the money they wanted to pay, so we finally made an agreement and I got 50% of the contract up front ( a large sum of money too). It's nice to play them once in a while after they been playing you for years!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Never let anyone get money on you like this !!! they will take you at some point ! and why should you bank -roll them :thumbsdown: since one of my neighbours crashed into me when i was stationary ,and claimed it was 50/50 a few months ago i do not trust anyone anymore :thumbsup: Get your money Monday wilder :thumbsup: or you will end-up losing it :yikes:

U could be right dave,but its years ive been working for him,he is a pain in the arse, but does pay up eventually.
Of course people take the mick,and i could get robbed one day, its one of the main reasons i don't work for big multi million pound company's,full of tossers and you can never get to the main man when things go **** up,but with this man, i know him personally, he knows how far he can push me until i get peeved off, im not a big man but i have never liked bullys in any shape or form.
Its a bit daft people on here saying they don't trust anybody, how the hell do they work for a living not trusting anyone,must make a man extremely paranoid going through life that way :)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I think you get a feel for who you can trust and can't Andy.
I have been done once off a big firm, about a grand,and that was doing council referbs in Manchester,and I was putting another 'tilers' work right,it was a right mess,the lovely QS loved the work I did,sent me to another site,did 30 or so on there got paid for them but not the re tiles I did, i was fuming,they told me to more or less swivel and take em to court,never got the money, I did see one of there vans a few months later,I bet it cost a bit to get it re sprayed ;)

T

The D

It is a hard one but it is called the building GAME. The long and short of it how much crap is the work that the builder is passing you worth taking. I have one at the moment that is trying the same thing I have done two jobs and he wants dates booked in for another job but I am having non of it. I have told him if the money is not in my bank by Tuesday I will go back to the job and uninstall the tiles. But I have another lad I would move haven and earth to help him out and I would wait as long as it takes for the money as I know he is good for it and if I go to him and say look I am skint I need the cash he will make sure it is in my hand that day.

I do not like this thing that is going on at the moment “I will pay you when I paid”
what is that all about ?? Do I look like a banker!!! :yikes:

C

charlie1

It is a hard one but it is called the building GAME. The long and short of it how much crap is the work that the builder is passing you worth taking. I have one at the moment that is trying the same thing I have done two jobs and he wants dates booked in for another job but I am having non of it. I have told him if the money is not in my bank by Tuesday I will go back to the job and uninstall the tiles. But I have another lad I would move haven and earth to help him out and I would wait as long as it takes for the money as I know he is good for it and if I go to him and say look I am skint I need the cash he will make sure it is in my hand that day.

I do not like this thing that is going on at the moment “I will pay you when I paid”
what is that all about ?? Do I look like a banker!!! :yikes:

yep, if your running around hiring people then you should have a float of cash, it's disgusting!!

A

Alan M

i think you should go up to them and say
i was in with my accountant
they say i need to get more money in sooner
they want me to change a few of the ways i handle the money side of things.
they want me to change my contracts (and put that into it) and get payment on completion.

tell them you will do this job but anything after this will have to be done on each job completion.

that way your not the bad guy
if they dont want to work like that then thats their loss

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Companies that do this are simply at it- if i sub out any work, i pay then once complete simple as that, i also trust no one where business and money is concerned! Turn the tables to your own favour... Borrow tools, get materials up front, borrow his van and get an imprint of the key, get his mobile and download tracking software lol.... Suppose i need to watch what I'm saying
very interesting we need to talk and have a dirty trick thread and enlighten each -other as to the possibilities LOL......as we are in the arms ??

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
i think you should go up to them and say
i was in with my accountant
they say i need to get more money in sooner
they want me to change a few of the ways i handle the money side of things.
they want me to change my contracts (and put that into it) and get payment on completion.

tell them you will do this job but anything after this will have to be done on each job completion.

that way your not the bad guy
if they dont want to work like that then thats their loss

To be honest, do you really think the majority of builders gives a stuff weather we have talked to an accountant, or are skint.........as long as they get the work done. You get a feeling as to "are they going to be ok"

You have to be the same with everyone.........weather you have done a lot of jobs for them.....or it's the first time.

Me.........I still don't trust any of them. Because if they get into difficulties, they wouldn't think twice about stitching you up.

C

charlie1

very interesting we need to talk and have a dirty trick thread and enlighten each -other as to the possibilities LOL......as we are in the arms ??

I'm not saying I've done any of the above or would do, tbh the most id probably do is just take them to court but yes, you can easily track someone's phone if you had it for 5. Money brings the worst out in us all its sad to say. Very good advice above alanm!!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
act the same as them, I got a builder still thinking im doing his job on Friday, I said I would as it was the only way to get paid last Friday, got his number on speed dial so I can just ignor him when he rings, its a one off job, filling in for his regular tiler while he's on holiday, crap money no chance of future work, so im doing my own work, better money and less stress, imo look after number one...:thumbsup:

A

Alan M

To be honest, do you really think the majority of builders gives a stuff weather we have talked to an accountant, or are skint.........as long as they get the work done. You get a feeling as to "are they going to be ok"

You have to be the same with everyone.........weather you have done a lot of jobs for them.....or it's the first time.

Me.........I still don't trust any of them. Because if they get into difficulties, they wouldn't think twice about stitching you up.

i know they dont care but it would be an easy way to bring it up.
anyone that is genuine and honest will try and work with your new system. if they dont they are showing that they dont care. if they wouldnt after that i woulnd work again for them

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Being held to ransom in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a keen DIYer and have chosen an Impey Aqua Dec 4 and waterguard tanking kit. The Aqua...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB