UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Best basin to wall fixing throught tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Realstokebloke

Hi,

finishing an en suite and have tiled the walls outside the shower to behind the basin which i need to fix.

They are 330 sq ceramics with a decent BAL flexi 9forget which) onto 10mm platerboard on studding & it seems they have a solid good 'fix'.

I guess i have more chance of winning the euro millions than the holes needed lining up to some studding for rigidity, so will have to rely on the fixing when i 'hang' the basin (it also has a pedestal - so not as critcal for bearing the weight - more for a tight & solid attachment to the walls) and was wondering the best / recommended wall / plug fittings to use plse.

In un-tiled p/b, i usually use the screw-in ones:

http://s7g3.scene7.com/is/image/ae2...81,281&layer=1&size=281,281&src=ae235/79304_P

but, at a guess, these will just crack the tiles (even the plastic ones?)

So would i be be better with these:

Broken Link Removed

(and are these type fiddly with that setting tool - indeed, does it work)

or these:

http://s7g3.scene7.com/is/image/ae2...81,281&layer=1&size=281,281&src=ae235/20385_P

Or are any others better?

I guess the same ones will apply when fixing in towel rails & shelves etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Realstokebloke

Your images wont work like that. Use the insert image button.

Mmm - every image i inserted (via the image insert button) said "invalid file"?

Odd.

...but struggling nevertheless.

Basically though,

first was the screw in ones that you screw into the p/b first with a phillips then screw into that.

second was the hollow wall fixing - that i think you need a setting tool for

thirst were the 'butterfly' type with wings that open.

R

Realstokebloke

Cheers Dan,

Ok. it's either:

1:

PB Driver.jpg
2:
PB Anchor.jpg

3:
Spring toggle.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
3 I'd go for as that would fix it to the plasterboard and make that take the weight. You don't want to use 2 as that risks splitting the tiles as you tighten it. And would make the tile take the eight (which it wont).

1 might be an option as that too could fix to the plasterboard but I can't see how if you have drilled a hole big enough for the plug to fit through, surely it has nothing to hold onto and would just come back through the tile? Unless it winds out to become thicker. Not sure.

3 I'd go for I think.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Best basin to wall fixing throught tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm redoing my bathroom that I did 15 odd years ago. Before it was tiled with 20x20...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I am after some advice. I am doing a bathroom job and have discovered that the walls...
Replies
Views
hello all, I am having an ensuite room built and want it tiled all over. one of the walls will...
Replies
Views
T
Hiya. In a few months we plan to rip the bathroom out and redo the lot. As I need the practice...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
V
Enclosures that have separate panels aka modern walk-in style, come with panels and base of...
Replies
Views
visioneset
V

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.