Discuss best method for mosaics? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mpajones

Hi guys,

Having received such a warm welcome with my first post a couple of months ago :thumbsup: I thought I'd come back to ask for some more sound advice for my next DIY job!

We have bought some Original Style mosaics (glass gold fleck, Sierra: Original Style - Glass Mosiac Gold Flecked Tiles) for a bathroom alcove where a sink / mirror will be, and I'm trying to work out the best way to fit them. The area is about 180cm high by 115cm wide, and I really want to get it right.

I've read the Original Style technical guide, which suggests the following :

"Glass: As glass is fully vitrified (impervious to water), it is important to choose a latex-based adhesive and grout to suit. A thin bed of adhesive should be used to prevent the adhesive coming through the joints."

My questions are:

1. Latex-based adhesive. Will Keraquick single part + latex addy do the job here?​

2. With respect to "Thin bed" - the tiles are only about 4mm thick including the mesh. What's the best way to fit these and limit the number of (or preferably eliminate) the "adhesive worms". On my previous attempts to do mosaics, quite a few of the little blighters have wiggled through - especially when I tamp the mosaics down (with my home-made tamper) to get them flat. The grout will probably be a slightly different colour to the adhesive (white adhesive, jasmine grout), and I want these to look really sharp!

Cheers for your help
Matt

M

mpajones

Thanks - that sounds good.

I'm figuring that the tolerances here are really quite tight, so any surface variation will show through. So I'm going to skim the area to make sure it's really flat.

I'm ok at plastering so that bit's no problem, but I've read somewhere that I shouldn't "polish" the plaster, so as to ensure that is a sufficient key for the adhesive. Do you know what this means exactly? e.g. trowel only once, and not give it the second troweling? Or something else?

I was thinking as an alternative of getting the plaster really nice and flat, and then to rub it with course sandpaper when it's dry to provide a key? Would this work?

M

mpajones

Right... an update on progress so far and some piccies:

1. Alcove on bathroom wall built and plastered. Blue wall is the area that will be covered in mosaics.

IMG_1465.JPG

2. On your advice, the alcove plastered as flat as I could get it, after getting a labourer to hack/scrape/sand off the remaning paint (for £20 - bargain!!). Surrounding plaster now painted.

IMG_1471.JPG

3. Lines marked out for mirror. Mosaics begin. Adesilix P10 is amazing and the first non-slip adhesive I've used that really is non-slip!! (thank you for that recommendation!)

IMG_1472.JPG

4. Rest of mosaics go up. Any slightly dodgy bits (of course there are none of those...) hidden behind where the basin will be.

IMG_1476.JPG

Pretty happy with progress so far. The combination of a mosaic trowel, the right adhesive, using the grout float to tamp them in, and general advice on surface preparation have all been spot on, so thank you guys!!

Next steps - grouting, mirror, basin and light fitting. Will post annother update once they're in!

Cheers
Matt

Reply to best method for mosaics? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Hi all, just had a new bath fitted. Took out the old one and had to remove one course of tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m not a tiler by trade but have tiled plenty of times in rental properties both on...
Replies
Views
Teri Kopec
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
best method for mosaics?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.