Discuss Best substrate over floorboards for floor tiles? in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

C

coldickey

Evening all,

I have read many reviews, forums and discussions on the internet about what the best substrate is for tiling on.

I will be tiling a bathroom floor of approx 8m2. My house is over 100 years old and I suspect the floor boards also are. The floor boards seem quite sturdy.

I believe the best method would be to ensure all floorboards are secured and lay plywood (maybe 12 or 18mm) on top of the floor then lay 6 or 12 mm hardibacker board on top, all screwed into the joists at 300mm intervals.

doing this will increase my floor height by too much, so I am thinking that if I do a good job securing the floorboards and ensuring minimum deflection (add in some noggings) then I will be ok to just lay 12mm Hardiebacker board screwed to the joists, then tile on top.

Does this sound ok?

If I choose this method, what type of adhesive should I use. flexible?

Yours thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

C

coldickey

Thanks for the quick responses.

My issue with replacing the floorboards is that I don't want to make any changes to the bath area of the room (due to tiling and fittings already in place) and so am unable/unwilling to change the floorboards if they also have to be changed.

Is it possible to change some floorboards with plywood and leave the ones under the bath as they are? I guess it depends on where the joists are and how the boards are laid.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

If you can, replace the floorboards with 18mm ply (add some noggins while you've got the boards up) stick down a 6mm cement board with flexible tile adhesive and screw it also, then tile. Welcome along to the forum.

I would think this would be the best option, backer boards don't do much to help eliminate deflection. Glue and screw every time:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Best substrate over floorboards for floor tiles? in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB