Discuss Big Job on, any help gratefully received. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dancuprar

I am about to tackle my kitchen/diner floor. 30m2 in total finished with pocelain tiles in a modified hopscotch pattern.

I am also installing 10mm Marmox boards and cable underfloor heating, i have already learnt from reading the posts that it is advisable to use slc over the ufh and my questions are to do with that.

Can i pour the slc directly onto the finished Marmox boards or do i have to seal it before laying the ufh.

With such a big area it is going to cost a bomb to self level it. I am guessing it will need atleast 10 bags (any estimates from those that have done this before). Does any one know of a good self leveller for around £20 a bag or does it not exist. I see that a lot of people rate the mapei fibreplan, any ideas how much or where i can get it. I live near Grimsby/S****horpe so somewhere local would be good.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dan

G

grumpygrouter

It is always a good idea to SLC over your cables for a number of reasons...
1. It protects your cables from trowel damage
2. It gives a much better surface to tile onto
3. Subsequent tile removal (cracked or chipped tiles for instance) has more chance of NOT damaging your cabling.

Fiberplan is excellent stuff and you can get it from Tile Giant if you have one near you. Apparenty Weber do and excellent equivalent too.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dancuprar

Thanks for letting me know about the marmox. I realise it it expensive but i got a right deal off ebay. £3.50 / sheet, they were supposed to be damaged slightly but when they arrived you could not even tell. Each one had the odd little dent on the edge or something like that.

I did tell her i needed 10 bags off slc but that was the very best price. She did say £23.50 to start with but the computer would not accept a quote as low as that. £240 i can cope with if it makes the job easier and a better finish, it is if i need 15 bags or so it starts to get into big money.

Anyone done an area of this size with latex plan that could give me an accurate 'guess' on what i am likely to need. It does say 5m2/bag on it but i know from experince you cant trust what the bag says when it comes to coverage.

D

Dancuprar

the s.l.c depend on the variations in your floor heights,if it's only slight then it could be less but if there is say 50mm discrpencies then obviously it will be more, have you tried the sika s.l.c from b@q it can be very cheap when on offer at about £15 a bag:thumbsup:

No not tried any slc before. I know the one you mean and have a trade card for b an q so that would be good. I am just going on advice of others in the forum that really rate the mapei stuff.

If i did run out is it a problem just doing as much as you can, then getting some more the next day and starting from where you left off.

M

Mike

the s.l.c depend on the variations in your floor heights,if it's only slight then it could be less but if there is say 50mm discrpencies then obviously it will be more, have you tried the sika s.l.c from b@q it can be very cheap when on offer at about £15 a bag:thumbsup:
i use the sika from builder centre, costs me £9 a bag:thumbsup: here's one which may be near you Building Supplies Hull | Build Center

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dancuprar

thats a brilliant price and found out theres 2 stores in glasgow and 1 in hamilton all close to me:thumbsup:

heres a link if anyones interested-
Build Center Home | Build Center:thumbsup:

Hull isn't too far away from me worth travelling to at only £9 a bag. Will it do the job just as well as the latexplan. I am a big beleiver in the saying you get what you pay for.

Reply to Big Job on, any help gratefully received. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Big Job on, any help gratefully received.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.