Guest viewing is limited

Discuss big problem with grout haze and residue in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

roberto1490

finished grouting my wetroom with mapei ultracolour plus white grout. i've got 30x30cm ceramic tiles with a textured, stone effect finish (should be a picture attached to this thread). i grouted to procedure and wiped tiles down several times, using 2 buckets of water and changing the water regularly. trouble is no matter how much i wipe there is still grout haze on the tile and even some patches of grout in the dips of the tile's surface. what are my options for removing this:

i was thinking either

1. buffing the tile using a drill and buffing/sanding drill bit?

2. using a grout residue remover?

3. 50:50 vinegar and water mix (read this on a site not sure if this even works?

also because these tiles aren't glazed (they are a textured matt finish) would they need sealing?

Attachments

• tile.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 163
C

charlie1

Hi Roberto,

I assume once you have grouted then wiped with sponge, you have then left it to dry for about an hour before using a dry rag/towel to remove the grout haze!

1 - Using a dry rag should really be enough, going by the sound of it you may not have whipped down with sponge enough, how large an area did you grout before you wiped off with sponge?, this type of grout sets very quickly!!

Using a grout res remover will be your best bet!

Sealing these tiles is not necessary are the are not porous

Do you have any pics of the actual tiles??

W

wetdec

Although the temptation is great it is important that you do not sponge off grout too soon.
We wipe off when the joints are finger dry that is it doesnt stick to your finger Mapei is good for this as it starts to cure pretty quick.
Wet a sponge wring it out and sponge across the joints diagonally the same way you put your grout on. By doing it this way you are not dragging soft grout out of joints and accross your tiles.
After first wipe leave for a little while before sponging again then polish off with a dry cloth later

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
R

roberto1490

i mixed up only 1kg loads and grouted small areas at a time. having read the replies i might have wiped off excess slightly too early. i like mapei products, having used their ultracolour plus and keraquick, but it sets too early and not being a professional i have to work to a speed i'm not comfortable with.

every batch was weighed out and mixed like the one before it, i tried to wait about 30 mins before wiping but sometimes i got a bit scared it might have set and wiped down too soon. also i wiped over the joints several times to get a nice finish and this is probably the cause of the grout all over the tiles....i will get some grout residue remover. i am still happy with the finish, but it will look even better once the haze has gone.

R

roberto1490

not really. i'm wiping diagonally with a well wrung out sponge each time but i go over it more than once, rinsing the sponge out regularly to get most of the excess off then i might go back to it with clean water after 20-30 mins and wipe again til i think most of the grout is off the tiles...i'm convinced this is where i'm going wrong. although it would be alot easier if the tiles where glossed and not textured matt finish.

Reply to big problem with grout haze and residue in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi any info on get rid of epoxy grout haze on natural stone would be much appreciated. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
big problem with grout haze and residue
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.