UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Black limestone problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Howard

Hi. I wrote for advice last year after we had black limestone laid in the garden. We cleaned the stone and used a brush to cover with LTP stone oil. Although we did it sparingly, we now realise it was not sparlingly enough. we have jet washed it all off which was hard going. At the same time we started with what we have been advised is efflorescense. We decided to do nothing over winter and sort the patio out in the spring hoping the efflorescense would eventually stop. So now the tiles are grey and dull looking with efflorescense stains and the whole thing need sorting out for the coming year but we do not know where to start. We started to get help last year but not only did all the problems in the graden happen but the PC also broke which is why we have not been back on the site sooner. Thank you to anyone who can help us with this.​

P

peckers

Have you got any pics off what it looks like now? I know you have had problems with the oiling and with effloresence (salt deposits) and you have pressure washed the oil off the face off the tiles,
I would be enclined to treat the tiles with an ltp product that would remove all traces off the oil that was applied, and to treat them to remove the effloresence as well.
You may need to have them proffesionally reground and polished(maybe) You said in your previous posts that there was hard core put down and then the tiles were laid on a sand/cement bed, do you know if there was any dpm put down? The reason i am asking is that it could be that there is moisture in the ground may always get to the tiles from underneath and keep on causing the effloresence problem(dont mean to worry you but maybe)
Have you been back in contact with ltp and seeked there advice again?

H

Howard

Uploaded photo, sorry for the delay. Now realised how to do it, it is very easy!
] garden1.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Black limestone problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi laid my patio 2 years ago 20mm porcelain and used rompox to grout . Noticed in the winter...
Replies
Views
I have a patio tiled with tumbled grey limestone. Every year I clean it and seal with LTP stone...
Replies
Views
M
We had black limestone laid in May this year. At first it looked great... It had 2 coats of...
Replies
Views
Jelthetiler
J
J
I hired a contractor to lay me a new patio using black limestone (that I provided from his...
Replies
Views
JamieB69
J
U
About a year ago, I had 64 sqm porcelain tiles installed on top of a concrete slab, forming a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.