Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Black Quartz Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BTB

Well, the wife fancied some black quartz tiles in the porch.

At B&Q they are £125 per sm and at Pilkingtons £110 per sm, so I had a look at the many on offer on Ebay.

I ordered a couple of 99p sample pieces from 2 different suppliers and bearing in mind the notes of caution on this site and heard from other tilers, I sent them both a few questions after receiving the samples (which were both good).

1. Can you guarantee that the product provided will at least match the sample?

2. Which adhesive do you recommend?

3. Do they need sealing either before, during or after installation.

4. Are they prone to grout staining (I will be using Ultracolour black)

Anyway, they both replied very promptly answering all questions positively. One of them even attached photo's of their own kitchen/bathroom done in the tiles.

So, I am nearly ready to order (it's only a small quantity for the porch) and will post back here when I have received the goods, in the hope that it may save some of you some money.

The price for the tiles from both suppliers is around £48 per sm.

I informed both of the suppliers that I was a member of TF, and they may be looking in here as we speak.

To be continued.......

D

david campbell

Well, the wife fancied some black quartz tiles in the porch.

At B&Q they are £125 per sm and at Pilkingtons £110 per sm, so I had a look at the many on offer on Ebay.

I ordered a couple of 99p sample pieces from 2 different suppliers and bearing in mind the notes of caution on this site and heard from other tilers, I sent them both a few questions after receiving the samples (which were both good).

1. Can you guarantee that the product provided will at least match the sample?

2. Which adhesive do you recommend?

3. Do they need sealing either before, during or after installation.

4. Are they prone to grout staining (I will be using Ultracolour black)

Anyway, they both replied very promptly answering all questions positively. One of them even attached photo's of their own kitchen/bathroom done in the tiles.

So, I am nearly ready to order (it's only a small quantity for the porch) and will post back here when I have received the goods, in the hope that it may save some of you some money.

The price for the tiles from both suppliers is around £48 per sm.

I informed both of the suppliers that I was a member of TF, and they may be looking in here as we speak.

To be continued.......

thats really cheap can you send me the website in a private message m8!
do they do the gulf stone in red!:thumbsup:

B

BTB

Just to update....

I bought the black quartz tiles from Tilesporcelain.co.uk

The sales rep, Claire, took the order over the phone and the tiles where delivered 48 hours later.

Pricewise, they worked out at around £50 per sm including delivery, so less than half the price of the B&Q/Pilkingtons version.

There are some slight variations in thickness, so the best way was to mix the packs before setting.

Cutting: My TS50+ got out of the box and ran off up the street :lol: no chance whatsoever. So I used the wet cutter for everything.

They cut easily on the wet cutter with just about any blade.

I used Keraquick and Mapei Ultracolour Black, both with no problems.

Overall, a good product for the price :thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

Just to update....

The sales rep, Claire, took the order over the phone and the tiles where delivered 48 hours later.

Pricewise, they worked out at around £50 per sm including delivery, so less than half the price of the B&Q/Pilkingtons version.

There are some slight variations in thickness, so the best way was to mix the packs before setting.

Cutting: My TS50+ got out of the box and ran off up the street :lol: no chance whatsoever. So I used the wet cutter for everything.

Why mix the packs?, surely better to grade them and use the thicker ones to give a height to work too.....But as long as its all worked out for you then thats great :thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Why mix the packs?, surely better to grade them and use the thicker ones to give a height to work too.....But as long as its all worked out for you then thats great :thumbsup:

Even with a manufactered material like gulf stone- apart from the thickness - you may also get variation in shading from box to box so its always worth mixing the tiles before fixing to get an acceptable blend.:thumbsup:

S

Spud

Just to update....

kera quick is an excellent adhesive but i strongly believe that these resin based tiles need extra additive in the adhesive this is just my opinion :thumbsup:

M

monkeyhanger

So it wasn't calibrated very well then.:thumbsdown:..that shows in the price...that comp is only 10 mins from me but i have a better supplier even closer.

Dave,

I'm after some black quartz tiles, 300mm x 300mm. I've seen Tiles Porcelain's website, not too far from me (North Shields), and the price looks exceptional, but the better supplier you talk about - can you let me know who they are, so I can check out their black quartz prices?

Thanks.

K

knuth

Dave,

I'm after some black quartz tiles, 300mm x 300mm. I've seen Tiles Porcelain's website, not too far from me (North Shields), and the price looks exceptional, but the better supplier you talk about - can you let me know who they are, so I can check out their black quartz prices?

Thanks.

Also looking for some info on the quality of these tiles; how are they shaping up a year later?

M

monkeyhanger

Went with Tiles HQ in the end - good delivery terms for the smaller orders (just had to spend £125 to get free UK delivery), the worst thing about their delivery was being stuck with 3 pallets to get rid of - the van driver didn't want them back!

Had 2 "unusable" tiles, one had 2 sides of bevel missing and the other had no scraping down the back so I was worried about adhesive grip. Wasn't sure if I could chase a refund/credit note on these, it'd cost as much for me to return them

Got my tiling done a month ago, but as it was a total refit and as a DIY'er I have to fit everything around my weekends, i'm not quite finished yet. Just a little bit of superficial painting yet to do, peel away the masking tape and it's done. When it's done i'll post pics (the World Cup matches are getting in the way of that at the moment!).

I was pretty pleased overall with the Tiles HQ buying experience.

Reply to Black Quartz Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Does anyone know how I can get hold of some discontinued Seramiksan Teos Black 33 x 33 tiles. I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am hoping I may be able to get some advice. 2 years ago we had a new kitchen fitted and...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Black Quartz Tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.