Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Blowky in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BLOWKY

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

Can I trouble you for some more information please.

I am in the process of fixing around 15Sq Mtr of Opus pattern 15mm thick Marble (it's called Precious?) to my kitchen and utility room floor. The floor is 3-4 inches of concrete on I think a 2" later of polystyrene. I only know this because I had to move the stand pipe to accommodate the new kitchen units and found the layer of polystyrene so not sure if the whole slab is resting on it.

I have installed Warmup Loose wire UFH with a Latex levelling compound screed, enough to protect the wire so around 3.0mm.

My question is what adhesive should be used, what size notch on the trowel and can I get away without buttering the backs of the tile, I find this so laborious and on my one and only last project of fixing stone (27 mtr of polished and honed spider stone in our ensuite, split level floor, bull nosed steps, angled dormer walls, you name it I did it) the buttering of the backs drove me insane, it just slowed me down so much.

Also what sealer would you use for a heavy traffic area like a kitchen.

Am I likely to get any movement in the tiles enough to crack them? The reason I ask is that the vendor of the tiles mentioned a decoupling mat may be needed with UFH, the Kitchen is around 3.5 x 3.5 mtr, the tiles will not go entirely to the wall on two opposite sides as there are units on top of them, the third side will butt up against an oak floor that will have an expansion joint in it, not sure if that is relevant but if there is any expansion there is on three sides room for them to expand into.

Any help as last time graciously received.

Kind Regards
Blowky.

D

diamondtiling

Is it a light marble? If so then a white flexible adhesive is the one for you. I would use a 12mm trowel to ensure 100% coverage of the tiles. It is vital that this is achieved especially over UFH and when using marble.
You should seal the marble prior to grouting and then again after grouting, I use Lithofin stainstop or LTP. A decoupling membrane should be incorporated to maintain the integrity of the installation and to cope with any expansion that will occur from the UFH.

:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Ditto. Except I'd get a continuity alarm thing from Underfloor Heating | Electric | Floor Insulation | Uheat (you might need to call them) which you connect to the heating cables as you tile the floor and it'll let you know if you snag a cable at any point so it can be repaired there and then without needing to rip up tiles later which can be a nightmare, especially marble fixed with good adhesive.

Reply to Blowky in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi, We currently have travertine floor tiles with wet UFH underneath. Some of the tiles have...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Does anyone have a DIY link or suggestions for removing just a single central tile from a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Blowky
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.