Discuss Blown plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

duffsparky

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of installing a corner shower in my downstairs cloakroom. I was hoping to tile the shower area but I've found some areas of wall plaster cracked and blown. The walls are internal 100mm aerated block (Thermalite type) with sand & cement render, finished with plaster skim. The cracks tend to be along the blockwork mortar lines both horizontally and vertically. In some cases the vertical ones are right through the centre of the blocks as well, but they do not appear in the room next door.

I'm wondering if I should replaster the blown areas or whether I could leave the walls as they are and tank them with a flexible liquid membrane like Mapei Mapelastic AquaDefense or similar.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
[h=1][/h]

D

duffsparky

mmm I think the use of an Anti crack membrane come tanking membrane will be required.. Dural WP is one i use.. and is available at PHG Wetrooms.. link to the left<<<

If it is sand/cement render then you can skim the patches in with rapidset but you will need to prime the walls.

Thanks dave,

Just one question though, is the product you suggest called Durabase WP or Dural WP. I can find Durabase WP but not Dural WP.

Thanks again.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Blown plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi. I hope its ok to ask a question on here. I am changing my shower surround. The tiles in my...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Blown plaster
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.