Discuss Bodged tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wildmouse

2011-09-08 13.59.26.jpg

W

wildmouse

On Monday I am getting the job totally redone. The surveyor from the housing association has assured me that he is going to make sure that the job is done to a high standard and is taking a personal interest in the job. He has been very apologetic and said that if they cannot do the job to his satisfaction then he will off load them. One of the gaffers from the contractors came to see the tiling today and he said that the job is complete ***** and there is no excuse for such poor workmanship. He was shocked at what he saw and apologised. I mentioned that the tiles are bowed above the bath and he said that there is a bow in the wall but they are only paid to tile and not sort the wall out.

B

Bolter

I mentioned that the tiles are bowed above the bath and he said that there is a bow in the wall but they are only paid to tile and not sort the wall out.

He is probably telling the truth here. I have done this sort of work and surveyors/contracts managers etc all seem to think a tiler can just magic over lumpy walls. They WILL NOT spend money on preparation, and quite often dont see a problem tiling directly onto a painted surface.

S

Stef

The standard of workmanship is shocking,
I took on a contract as a subby a good few years ago for 500 houses, i lasted less than half a shift because of the way they just wanted me to fling the tiles onto the walls with no surface preparation.
To make money then you would have had to fling them on the walls.
I had a woman crying because they ripped out her old w/c from a fully tiled bathroom & i had to stick in 4 tiles for a splash back, I shouted on the foreman & he told me " thats what they get" that was enough for me!

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
If they used PVA they may as well of used chip fat, I've been in a bathroom which had tiles falling of as they were grouted, I was working next door at the time and their neighbour (diy'er) popped over to ask why his new wall tiles were debonding. I saw a jumbo container of Unibond on the landing and asked him if he'd used it and he went all guilty looking and said he had.

His newly skimmed walls had been covered in thick 1:1 PVA and then dot and dabbed, the tiles that had dropped off had pulled the PVA of with it and the 5 blobs were like glass, you have to see it with your own eyes to understand why you must use a proper acrylic tile primer instead.

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Bodged tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Bodged tiling
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.