• Thread starter PGM Tiling Solutions
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 313
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss Book keeping/Accounts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PGM Tiling Solutions

Hello again all,

This post has probably been discussed before but thought I'd ask the question!
I am hoping to start up around May time this year and was wondering what you all do regarding book keeping? Do you/better half keep business related reciepts together etc and present to an accountant a couple of times a year or do you just employ a book keeper who sorts that all out and then send to accountant in time for the tax man?
Hope to hear from some of you soon,

Cheers

Paul

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Park Gate
Quicken is excellent and very easy to use. Set up catagories as you see fit, ie cost of materials; fuel; insurance; etc etc. Then basically copy your bank statment into the software assigning catorgies to each transaction. If its a private transaction for personal use then have a catagory fot this.

Balance the books at the end of the accounting year and run a profit and loss sheet. Run VAT statments of if your not VAT registered find out if its worth your while becoming so.

Easy peasy!

Somerset
Hello again all,

This post has probably been discussed before but thought I'd ask the question!
I am hoping to start up around May time this year and was wondering what you all do regarding book keeping? Do you/better half keep business related reciepts together etc and present to an accountant a couple of times a year or do you just employ a book keeper who sorts that all out and then send to accountant in time for the tax man?
Hope to hear from some of you soon,

Cheers

Paul

Keep all your receipts. A box file is good for this - chuck em in here every day, then sort them out once a month.

Good idea to keep track of what you are spending. Set budgets (be realistic - e.g. how much to spend on stationary, how much on tiles, how much on marketing, vehicle costs etc. - then stick to your budgets, harder than you think especially the "tiling tools" budget!!); then work out all your expenses for a month - deduct expenses covered by customer billing - add your pay, and divide by 20 - thats going to be your minimum "day rate."

This is where a nice accounts package can help - Quicken and Sage are 2 most popular. However if u r good with Excel you could create your own accounting spreadsheets.

Dont spend too much on your accountant - but employ a good one (recommended by someone you trust the opinion of). How much you use them depends on how much work you generate (and thereby how much accounts work). But generally just let them prepare the year end accounts for the taxman - that will still cost a couple of hundred.

If you dont like doing your own accounts, find someone who is (a) trustworthy, (b) not likely to charge more than £10-15/hour, and (c) is happy for you to employ them for just 3-5 hours a month to update your business accounts.

If at the end of the year you can give the accountant a copy of your business accounts on computer disc, and all your receipts and invoices. That might just save you a whole wedge of money on their very expensive time!

Good luck.

Reply to Book keeping/Accounts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Book keeping/Accounts
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.