Discuss Breaking tiles with tile saw... help needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

Keybored

Hi..... I need some guidance, I am trying to use a borrowed B+Q PTC500 tile saw to cut 450x450mm ceramic tiles 9mm thick

My problem is cutting a straight line thru the tile results in the tile 'breaking' when it gets within the last inch of the cut.... I have tried cutting in at what would be the exit of the cut first and then sawing up to this cut ... but the tile breaks as sone as first contact is made between the two cuts.... if I look at the cross sectoion of the cut tile the break point is almost triangular in shape the point of the triangle at the bottom of the triangle being the point where the two cuts touch (hope that makes sense)

What am I doing wrong ?

K

Keybored

Hi All, Thanks for the feedback...... My mate doesnt have a manual cutter to borrow, I should have added that I have some 'old' tiles which are 330mmx330mm and 150mmx150mm and have tried them and get the same result..... I am using plenty of water... I had hoped to be able to avoid the expense of buying a cutter at this time...

The other size of tile I have for this project is 500mmx25mm..

I had hoped to avoid the expense of a manual cutter, athough I realise it is the best solution.

K

Keybored

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for their help...... I took a longer look at the saw and found that the bracket that holds the water gaurd was slightly out of allign and touching the cut tile on one side as it passed through, no noticable resistence, but I guess enough pressure / vibration to instigate the break over a long cut..

one other point i would loo for guidence on is tile spacing for the wall tiles, they are 500mm x 200mm, dont want to get myself into difficulties.... have used 3mm on the floor

cheers fr the feedback

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Breaking tiles with tile saw... help needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Breaking tiles with tile saw... help needed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.