UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Brick Slips | Brick Slip Tiles by Wetherby - Anybody use them? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

hi

i know this is petes speciality but what do you think of this video highlighting their exterior 'brick slip' system. the company does render systems but this falls into a tilers domain so i thought id show their video :thumbsup: its exterior work that includes 'exterior wall insulation' (this is getting very popular)...any good tiler would be able to add this to their repetoir....anyway, hope you enjoy it, it might spark a new idea or 2 :thumbsup:

[video=youtube;MyNzznAWa4c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyNzznAWa4c[/video]

M

matclad

Hey hey!

Did I hear our name?! Matclad Ltd (Paul here)

Yes that's quite a common system as is Wienerberger's Corium system but as was rightly said they cost an arm and a leg and are really for specifiers of large building projects and not smallish projects due to volume of scale... However...

Oddly enough - though we have been working very hard at this we have a new patented product which is going to cut the INSTALLED cost - never mind the system cost in half and still achieve the right thermal insulation properties. It is also VERY easy to use.

There will be a full product launch coming shortly so watch this space.

In the interim if anyone wants some samples of slips to test out with I will do a deal for the forums people just to help some people get used to the product if the demand is there.

Paul Sullivan - Matclad Ltd

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Hey hey!

Did I hear our name?! Matclad Ltd (Paul here)

Yes that's quite a common system as is Wienerberger's Corium system but as was rightly said they cost an arm and a leg and are really for specifiers of large building projects and not smallish projects due to volume of scale... However...

Oddly enough - though we have been working very hard at this we have a new patented product which is going to cut the INSTALLED cost - never mind the system cost in half and still achieve the right thermal insulation properties. It is also VERY easy to use.

There will be a full product launch coming shortly so watch this space.

In the interim if anyone wants some samples of slips to test out with I will do a deal for the forums people just to help some people get used to the product if the demand is there.

Paul Sullivan - Matclad Ltd

do you have a web-site we can see Matclad

M

matclad

Yes lots of different systems about seems mostly bricklayers doing it yes tilers would be better imo

Yes Ed,

It is more suited to tilers really though tilers then have to learn about bonding patterns, soldier courses around reveals but it is not difficult to learn and really opens up:

Interior shop refits where they want feature walls
Retail customer feature walls,
Fireplace renovations,

A huge proportion of UK cladding is in refits and internal work though it will become more prevalent on full new builds due to speed and excellent thermal properties of the systems + it's very fast and not weather dependent.

M

matclad

Our current site shows our brick slip finishes but it is pretty basic (I just don't have the time to develop as I am doing product development + a load of commercial stuff to do with the patent.

Shortly we will have a full cart + the full new patent system showing their. I promise you when you see it there will be many hand slapping many foreheads with how simple our system is. We will compete in cost with render but have a nice brick finish ;)

M

matclad

must say i have never fixed brick slips never found them convincing but have fixed thousand of mtrs real bricks cut into slips

I don't fully understand what you mean but I think I get what you are saying pjc:

Most UK purpose made (that's not cut from a full brick) are made by Wienerberger which is German so the colours are wrong for the uk market AND they are all wirecut or smooths (which again are not quite right for most houses). Germans also hard fire their bricks down to about 2-3% water absorbtion so getting the adhesives to bond can be fun ;)

Obviously you get plastic and concrete slips which are imo horrible and wont last (UV and concretes don't hold pigments too well)

You may also have used some from other importers who mostly import from Lithuania, Poland and the like and again the colours are not quite right.

You also say that you have laid '000s of meters of slips cut from bricks - how did you find the wastage? We find that there is a high breakage (the brick was never designed to have strength in 20mm slip form and they are fragile).

PJC - I will gladly send you some of ours FOC for you to test out as you are keen user - let me know what you think and did I cover the 'didn't look quite right' bit?

M

matclad

kitchen.jpg

Is this real or not jpc :p

Ours are real clay just made thinner (still fired exactly the same way) and this job was done by a builder with NO experience of brick slips

M

matclad

its hard to see from the picture

An uncompressed version (taken by customer and they kindly did a 'step by step' series for us:

17.jpg

and one from my gallery which is close up

medleymix.jpg

I suppose what I am saying jpc is that these are real brick, ground clay, additives, dried and fired exactly the same as standard bricks just thinner. I don't know what you have seen before or what made you think purpose made slips were different to cut slips.

I would argue that cutting slips (not from reclaim such as you sell) from bricks is a HUGE waste of energy and materials anyway.

Would you like a sample? (email me through my website and I'll happily get some across FOC)

M

matclad

First link - lovely reclaim blend - probably triple the cost of purpose made and twice the cost of non-reclaim but to be fair a beautiful finish.

Second link - hard to tell but a red multi smooth (reclaim again?) probably originated in Sussex from Warnham or Wealden works under Redland Brick though they are pretty generic.

Saying that anything other than a slip cut from a full brick is not a slip and inferior is a little tight pjc. We could easily manufacture full bricks and cut them but its huge waste of energy and raw materials when we can produce something which I believe you would not be able to tell was purpose made once bedded in.

Anyway... (Nice bricks though :))

P

Perry

First link - lovely reclaim blend - probably triple the cost of purpose made and twice the cost of non-reclaim but to be fair a beautiful finish.

Second link - hard to tell but a red multi smooth (reclaim again?) probably originated in Sussex from Warnham or Wealden works under Redland Brick though they are pretty generic.

Saying that anything other than a slip cut from a full brick is not a slip and inferior is a little tight pjc. We could easily manufacture full bricks and cut them but its huge waste of energy and raw materials when we can produce something which I believe you would not be able to tell was purpose made once bedded in.

Anyway... (Nice bricks though :))

no they are the same brick, i have seen some good ready made slips but not as good as the real bricks imo i am not saying that they cant be only that i havent seen any but when some of the shops paint them :incazzato:why dont they use ready made are you still pointing buy hand and what do you use to fix the slips to that panel ? buy hand ?

regards Pete

M

matclad

no they are the same brick, i have seen some good ready made slips but not as good as the real bricks imo i am not saying that they cant be only that i havent seen any but when some of the shops paint them :incazzato:why dont they use ready made are you still pointing buy hand and what do you use to fix the slips to that panel ? buy hand ?

regards Pete

Fair enough pjc I have seen some terrible slips also i.e. plastic slips?!

We don't fit the slips we just manufacture them and sell all the tracking systems, glues and tools to do the job. It's upto the client on how they want to afix. We sell mortar guns but the joint has to be finished by hand of course (rake or bucket handle finish usually) and the adhesive is standard tiling cement (BAL Rapidset Flexible) or similar though we do have a VERY VERY high grab adhesive for external work (we have had customers do arches without the use of a frame i.e. they stuck them on the ceiling and they stayed in position just using the glue without support)

M

matclad

would be interested in what tools glue and tracking systems you sell slips are a bit pricey lol :8:

We sell a Polyeurathane Tracking System at the moment (though we are working on that element) and the glues are BAL Rapidset Flexible and a Silane high grab adhesive for gun application along with all the pointing tools, mortar guns and glue guns - the standards ;)

As for pricing - I know that 'lol' was ironic :) We are 25-40% cheaper than our main competitors and if we need to we can compete with any cut or purpose made uk made or imports :p

Thankfully everyone else - inlcuding you I believe Peter - cut from full bricks at about 20p a cut or 30p odd for a corner. This on top of the brick cost stacks up very quickly. One of our business directors has been and still is one of the most active and prolonged top level management consultants to the brick industry having worked for 30 years with Redland, Lagan brothers, Baggeridge amongst others and we personally know most of the brick makers in the UK (It's a small world ;))

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Brick Slips | Brick Slip Tiles by Wetherby - Anybody use them? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Anybody want to learn the art of fixing brick tiles/slips the fast way lol just picked 6 more...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
D
we renovated this pool in Bournemouth a few months ago , we hacked -off the tiles then skimmed...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
R
Hello all, Thought Id put some info up on the Mapei range of powder adhesives. Might help a few...
Replies
Views
F
D
the latin word ‘tegula’ and its french derivative ‘tuile’ mean quite precisely a roof tile of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.