Discuss Brick slips, decoupler, gylon and more.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

Okay, so I'm pretty sure what I'm doing with this job, but have a few queries....

The floor is wet UFH covered with Gyvlon screed. The main living area and hallway are going to be calibrated sandstone (600 x 300 x 22mm), the kitchen is reclaimed brick slips that will be machined to a calibrated thickness and the library will be porcelain wood effect tiles.

Questions:

Should I trust the "new" Dural Ci or not spec a decoupler for the sandstone?
Can I fix the brick slips with an Anhydrite SPF or should I be considering another method?
What is the smallest "grout" joint that I can use with the brick slips?
What should I grout the brick slips with?
What is the recommended sealer to use with brick slips?

Thanks in advance,

Daz

S

Spud

brick slips will need a 10mm joint they look lovely when they are herringbone set any impregnator will do the job the anhydrite will need to be sanded before you do any thing with it and it needs a long time to thouroughly dry out whenever i tiled on them we just primed them with 2 coats of primer then used normal spf to stick them i havent tried the gypsum based adhesives so i cant comment on it, the new dural looks great and they do seem to stand by their products and i will definitely use their new matting in the future

R

Rob Z

Pete, I'm glad to see you've reverted to sq yards in your vocab while you're visting us here!:smilewinkgrin:

Our thin brick are actually quarries, very durable, very dense, and really quality stuff. For some reason, no one has asked for it for quite some time. Summitville Tile in Ohio makes some of the best thin brick in the US.

I tiled a sidewalk with thin brick about 13 years ago, and recently did a job in the same neighborhood. I drove by to check it out and was pleased to see that it still looked in great condition.

S

Spud

Thanks guys.

@Gary, I usually use an anhydrite adhesive for these screeds based on advice from Ajax (Alan) and, although, Ardex have told me that a cement based addy is fine I've always resisted. Are you saying that you've not had any issues provided the floor is properly sanded and double primed?

@Pete, thanks for the offer and I will take you up on it mate. I'll be in touch soon.
tiled loads of anhydrite floors when working in Germany they have been using anhydrite for 30 years and pretty much all residential jobs have anhydrite floors if they are sanded and dryed out and primed properly there is no problem using cement based adhesive its just the water issue where you have to be careful anhydrite screeds dont like water

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
No reason if everything is perfect why a cement based addy won't work. However I always (as you no doubt know) recommend Gypsum based addy as it will offer a more robust system as it removes the very significant element of chemical incompatibility. Germany France and Holland all use them almost routinely these days. If you do use a cement addy make sure the primer is good quality and penetrates the screed well. The other issue you are up against in the UK which you will not see much of in Germany is the Low Laitance systems which are becoming prevalent The surface of these is that much more dense and as such the priming is that much more difficult due to lack of absorption.

Reply to Brick slips, decoupler, gylon and more.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
All, I have 600mm by 300mm porcelain tiles for the shower area. The girlfriend wants a vertical...
Replies
Views
hi, i am a virtually retired tiler (58), legs back hips etc etc. a friend carpenter (65) has...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all very new here just signed up to ask a question! I am wheelchair-bound due to a...
Replies
Views
M
HI I am new to this sight and was wondering what adhesive I should use to fix real brick slips...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Brick slips, decoupler, gylon and more....
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.