Discuss Brickbond setting out on boxing-in? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gross Loydman

After something of a hiatus, my tiling project (bathroom and toilet) is back on, and I've made a start by actually putting some tiles on the toilet wall! To be honest I was putting it off... felt like a painter putting that first brush-stroke on the canvas...

Anyway I've started on one wall of the toilet, and it's going fine so far, but I was wondering how to deal with brickbond setting out around the boxing-in around the soil stack. Basically should I continue the brick-bond around this boxing? It's best explained with the attached pictures... the black lines indicate tiles as they will be; the red lines indicate the join of two tiles if I were to try to continue the bb layout. I've put them centrally on the faces of the boxing-in, but if I were to make the lhs of the boxing symmetrical with the tile on the other side of the toilet (ie make tile B the same size as tile A), it would be 16cm and 8cm (rather than 12 and 12) and I'm not sure which would look better.

toilet 2.jpg toilet 1.jpg

It's always hard to describe these things clearly but I hope you understand my question!!

Basically should I...

a) have full tiles on the boxing-in (don't try to continue the bb); or
b) try to continue the brickbond, cuts centred on each face of the boxing-in; or
c) continue the brickbond making it symmetrical with the facing wall by bringing the red line on tiles B and D forward by 6cm so it's three-quarters of the way along the boxing-in (the line on tile C would be fine as it is btw)?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gross Loydman

Thanks for the replies guys! I think it will work if I wrap the brickbond around the boxing... it won't fall quite right but I can shift it about a bit so it will look right if you take account of the foreshortening effect. And it even works at the other end of the wall (I think... I'll map it out on the wall beforehand to confirm). I was worried that it might look a little 'contrived' trying to continue the bb around the boxing but if that's the preferred way then I think I can make it work...!

Thanks again, I'll update some pics when I'm done (don't hold your breath though!)

Reply to Brickbond setting out on boxing-in? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've bought what I thought were floor tiles for my bathroom. They are 600 x 300 x 8.5mm ceramic...
Replies
Views
Ceramike
C
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
When tiling a window reveal in a kitchen with brick bond tiles I am struggling to set out the...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Im a DIY tiler and am about to half height tile my downstairs toilet with 600x300...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Brickbond setting out on boxing-in?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.