Discuss Builder demolishing work that the customer hasn't paid for in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

My guess is that the conservatory could be reused somewhere else

I think it was a question of he wasn't going to get his money anyway and was damned if he was going to let the woman benefit from ripping him off.

She then had to pay for clearing up the mess he left, and to have the property put back to it's previous condition, so it's cost her as well.

I suspect anyone who has ever been ripped off in this way was fully behind him. I know of a few instances where this has been done.

A builder we hired claims to have demolised a garage for a similar reason though he was a bit stupid as he had received 60% of what he was owed. I would have just removed 40% of the work, which would have been the roof etc, then he could have reused the materials elsewhere. He demolished the whole lot, which left solicitors chasing him. Apparently he didn't reply to them and they gave up.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alberta Stone

WOW.:santa_cheesy:
I know of some situations where guys were tempted to do similar, but here in Canada, once it is attached to the house, by any method, glue, screws, nails or whatever, your only recourse is the courts as you would get charged by the police with vandalism.

Unjust....Yes, but justice is so very blind in so many ways.
:rant:
For instance a guy was burgaling a place here in Alberta about...oh..5 years ago... any way he was on the roof and the fool fell through the skylight and got all cut up from the glass and the batch of dishes and cutlery on the island he fell onto, so he sued the homeowner for what I don't quite recall, but the damndest thing is the judge ruled in his favor and demanded that the owners pay.
I think that later the owners launched a counter suit as advised by their lawyers, so they managed to avoid that expense, but the worst of it is that they still had to pay legal fees which they shouldn't have.
I have heard several other similar stories, which only feeds the lawyers pockets and doesn't serve the concept of justice at all.:veryangry:

C

cornish_crofter

The law isn't that different here. It's just that most law enforcemant agencies/solicitors would laugh if someone wanted to go down that route.

A Health and Safety instructor once told me a story involved with a site where she was responsible for H&S.

Two lads dediced to enter and steal some copper. The security guard gave chase and they ran to get out. One made it clear the other fell down an open hole and broke his pelvis. Despite this hole being cordened off with reflective tape, he ran straight through this and fell.

The one that got caught was sentanced to 16 months. When he got out he sued the contractor for breech of health and safety. Apparently he got £16K. The judge's ruling was based on the hole being dangerous for anyone on site. The contractor's defence that all people who are permitted on site were subjected to an induction didn't wash. Nor did the defence that all the correct H&S signs were posted around the place.

In Portugal you can shoot and kill a burglar and you're in the clear.

Now that's my kind of justice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Builder demolishing work that the customer hasn't paid for in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
Hello, as a novice, I need some advice. Our landscapers have been doing a fantastic job so far...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Builder demolishing work that the customer hasn't paid for
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.