Discuss Calibrated tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

londonsurf

Hi

I recently purchased 600x300mm 'calibrated' slate riven tiles. On receipt of the tiles, I note they vary in thickness from 5 to 15mm. My tiler has refused to lay them.

Please can you advise me if there is a British Standard that defines the term 'calibrated tile', and if so what it says. The tile supplier has said to me that calibration does not relate to the thickness of the tile, but its dimensions in plan form i.e. as long as the plan dimension is a consistent 600 x 300, then I have no case. Is this true?

Please help.

L

londonsurf

Thank you for all the posts. Slightly confused now. The tiles have a riven finish. Should I be expecting my tiler to sort the tiles by thickness(167 in total) before laying? Isn't this asking too much? I thought the whole purpose of buying calibrated tiles was that they were easy to set out and lay!

I also googled calibrated tile and it seems to relate to tile thickness. The offending tiles are Indian Black Slate 30x60 - Slate - Natural Stone - Tiles

The tiler fitted about 4sqm of tile and then phoned me, said he couldnt work with them, took them up and went home. Tile Giant will give me a full refund on the tiles, but feel like the tiler should be compensated for working half a day with no end result??

Last edited by a moderator:
L

londonsurf

Sorry further point - these tiles were £22sqm (reasonable for calibrated tiles). My view is these tiles are 'uncalibrated' as they vary in thickness and plan dimensions. I have been told that uncalibrated tiles are £12sqm. Have I therefore been ripped off?? Wouldn't trading standards have something to say about a uncalibrated tile being sold as a calibrated tile when it is clearly not??! grrrrrrrr

T

Time's Ran Out

In over 30 years of fixing this natural material I've only ever sent back slate once and that was due to the poor quality and uneven layers in the riven surface.
It's a fantastic product with a unique rustic appearance so if you want perfection rather than aesthetics perhaps go for an alternative lookalike.
In my humble opinion the calibration of the tile is the surface area measurements and due to the nature of the riven surface some variation in the thickness is to be expected.

A

AMtek

I think the true definition of calibrated slate should mean even thickness and size, but I just Googled it and it seems some just calibrate the base of the tile, leaving a riven finish on the top.

That said I have used this type of tile very often, and if you grade your tiles in order of thickness, you can achieve a good result:thumbsup:

as phil said these tiles can still be laid, sort them from thickest to thinnest, lay the thickest tiles first and i normally step up to a 20mm trowel when i cant get 100% coverage with the thinner tiles. its not slate but my pictures of the limestone floor in the "show us your work thread" were calibrated but up to 10mm variance in width, length and thickness and they are all flat with no lippage

G

Gall.B

I note Tile Giant are forum sponsors...may be they can answer the case of their so called calibrated tiles...

Think I may have used the 300x300 of these tiles from what I remember they where a cracking price reflected in the quality tho, not very square and a lot of diffrent widths.

Id be taking the 5mm ones back. If you want better they will cost more.

Reply to Calibrated tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Are there any BS standards covering this please I have recently had 3 sides of a shower tiled...
Replies
Views
We are currently finishing a project at Edinburgh in which a customer has requested to fit large...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
Please can someone who knows what they are talking about help me out. I am very unhappy. I...
Replies
Views
I would very much appreciate the advice of anyone who has fitted Marmox boards as I have decided...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Calibrated tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.