Discuss Can anyone advise (without looking) as to what I should do..? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mytilingisruff

Hi Everyone. We recently had a new kitchen fitted by a joiner (excellent joiner) but I'm far from happy with the floor tiles (porcelain).

The guy took my old floor boards up and put down new tongue & groove chipboard with a green colour to it (I've been told this is good as it is the proper stuff). He then fitted underfloor heating to which he added a dark grey screed to protect the mat when he tiled. He then tiled and grouted.

Having stayed out of the kitchen due to being asked to keep off the tiles whilst the adhesive set I then had chance to assess the end job.

The tiles are not at the same level where they meet up (seperated by grout as he used spacers), up to a point where the edge of one can be up to 2mm higher than the one next to it. The grouting has clearly been rushed due to it having a lot of air bubbles in it and even a 7mm piece of blue insulation from an electrical cable was found in one piece (I carefully dug around it 'Time Team' style to discover this. The grout has started to crack in several places and one tile is loose on one edge. I also managed to prise a tile up in one corner under a proposed dryer to find poor tile adhesive spreading methods which resulted in the tile only adhering and being supported for approximately 50% of the area (he clearly never prepped the floor as there is a large ridge of grey screed which protrudes up in amongst where he has run his tile spreader).

The last thing I want to is upset the apple-cart but I also don't want to end up with a poor floor some time in the future.

Thanks to you all in advance of your advice.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Firstly tiles that are 'lipping' (one higher than the one next to it) isn't acceptable. And if the grout is cracking there's a big chance the joiner :)lol:) grouted the floor with a grout that isn't flexible.

Sorry to say this but a tiler should tile. A joiner should stick to his wood which I'm sure he's brilliant with.

When was this completed? And how long was it before you first turned on the underfloor heating?

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome:Mytilingisruff - and by the sound of it your right!

It will be difficult to ascertain the real 'state' of the floor from a description and not viewed however the preparation is inadequate by tiling direct to the Green Chipboard and your problems are just about to start.:thumbsdown:
The future is now and I'd upset the cart straight away if you are not happy.
Joiners doing the tiling!:yikes: and geting paid or not if you are sensible.
Post some photos if you'd like more replies.

R

Rich

Chipboard, UFH and a guy who clearly has no idea about tiling.
If you paid him to lay the floor for you then he needs to put it right or foot the bill for you to get it sorted by a pro. Im afraid this is a rip out and start from scratch job. Chipboard should never be used to tile onto and you need to get 100% coverage of adhesive on a floor. Any cracked grout you have now will get worse and to be honest I doubt any of those tiles will stay down long.

M

mytilingisruff

aaarrrrgggh.

The guy qouted us and said he did tiling and with me not wanting to question the guy's credentials I took it as read that he would do a good job.

I could offer people brain surgery but I wouldn't advise you take me up on the offer.

I'm miffed now.

I never gave it a second thought as he had an electrician to do the electrics, a builder to do alteration work to the door and window, a gas man to fit and connect the hob and a plasterer to do the plastering. I assume if he couldn't tile he would get a tiler in and as I suffer from 'Ups & Downs' I perhaps didn't question him enough.

The good news is that I asked him to leave the tiling splash back but am worried as to where to go now as the bodge job was only noticed when it was all down and grouted.

He advised us on the heating so we left it a full ten days then started it off on 5 degrees, turning it up by 2 degrees each day from then on.

Regards tiling onto the green board, he did put down the UFH and a dark grey screed over the top then tiled onto this.

I have had a troubled xmas due to this and Really Wish I'd got a Tiler to do it but you trust folk.

I think he was on a flier but am worried about my nice kitchen being a problem in the near future.

M

mytilingisruff

The lipping is caused by a poor job. It is done brick-bond style but I'm sure the tiles are not curved.

I have put a short spirit level onto the raised edge and in places it leaves a gap of approximately 2-3 mm above the next tile and there is one short tile (cut down) that is above the adjoining tile at one end and below at the other.

I can bet my bottom dollar that if anyone off this forum came to look they'd say 'Rip Up. Start Again.'

Reply to Can anyone advise (without looking) as to what I should do..? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I have redone the tiles (porcelain ones) in the kitchen. The grout used, BAL...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Can anyone advise (without looking) as to what I should do..?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks