Discuss Can Anyone Offer Advice On A Rookie Mistake? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I've not used tubbed gear for years. I'm not va tiler by trade so strictly diy but I find bagged much easier. As I said...just my experience. I've caused unibond tubs, bal tubs, bostick tubs, wickes very own. At various times and on various projects. Never had a ctile fall off as a result of adhesive failure though.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
A lot of tubbed is good for kitchens wirh smallish ceramics. Always liked the white star by BAL myself. Never used any other brands. Think I might have used some Mapei of similar spec for a kitchen I randomly did a few years ago for a close friend thinking about it. They're still stuck solid.

S

SJPurdy

The walls were tiled before and they lasted for years before being removed. The tiles and addy layer (assumed) have been removed but any old primer that soaked into the plaster wall to reduce suction (if necessary) before the old tiling is probably still there. The ready mixed addys are designed to be used on plaster walls but if the wall is absorbent they need priming (to reduce suction) so that the moisture in the adhesive isn't sucked away to quickly leaving a (very) weak bond.
If all the tiles but the one that came loose are firmly fixed then I would assume that they will stay that way. The one tile that popped out may have done so for another reason eg a blob of contaminant in the addy.

Reply to Can Anyone Offer Advice On A Rookie Mistake? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Can Anyone Offer Advice On A Rookie Mistake?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Australia Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond