Discuss Can anyone tell me what this is? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

pablo79

Hi all,

I'll soon be starting a floor tiling job at my house. However, I'm unsure what this substrate is? I need to know so I can choose the right adhesive.

I peeled back the carpet and there are no joins in the substrate. Is it a levelling compound?

It's rock solid and feels like concrete. If you dig at it with a sharp object, like a screwdriver, you can dig a grove into a it, but it's not easy. It's rock hard. It has a browny colour, and is very slightly dusty.

What is it? What adhesive would I use? And should I seal it (with pva, for example) before tiling?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 69
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Can anyone tell me what this is? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Article
If you've been on any of the Goldtrowel Tiling Courses then please leave feedback and reviews in...
Replies
Views
C
Hello. I was after a bit of advice from the people in the know. I am planning to re-tile my...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
A
Hi Guys I've seen some ceramic tiles which I like in Topps Tiles however, Tile depot do a...
Replies
Views
DavidCampbell
D
M
Hi i have been wondering how and why for a couple of days!..... Grout is not waterproof, water...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
R
Hello, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to tiling and have been asked to quote on a job for...
Replies
Views
remery1
R

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB