Discuss Can I just say... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

fizz_bosh

This forum has taught me so much! I'm only the mere customer, getting blokes round to quote & I can't believe what some of them try to tell me!!

This evening, someone wanting to lay 8 or 9mm ply on my floorboards, 'should be plenty' & when I asked about bridging the 2 sub floors I've got (half screed/half t&g) he said just grout would be fine. Expansion joints only for floors over 30m2 (my kitchen is 18m2) & when I asked what if the floor/grout did crack- did he offer a guarantee? - he said 'not if it's a cash job---' but then said the adhesive was guaranteed for 25 years...

So thanks for all you've taught me!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Amazing how many 'tilers' don't have a clue. Some can do a nice neat looking job but know nothing about technicalities or proper procedures.

Pete very true, I saw a 200m2 floor on Gyvlon screed that had failed. Tiling looked fine at first glance, but prep was non existant, one small expansion joint in one doorway. Screed had not been abraded or primed.:mad2:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
This forum has taught me so much! I'm only the mere customer, getting blokes round to quote & I can't believe what some of them try to tell me!!

This evening, someone wanting to lay 8 or 9mm ply on my floorboards, 'should be plenty' & when I asked about bridging the 2 sub floors I've got (half screed/half t&g) he said just grout would be fine. Expansion joints only for floors over 30m2 (my kitchen is 18m2) & when I asked what if the floor/grout did crack- did he offer a guarantee? - he said 'not if it's a cash job---' but then said the adhesive was guaranteed for 25 years...

So thanks for all you've taught me!

I've only just noticed this. Thanks for sharing. I keep telling the lads to keep providing the advice as they will win long-term. People will become much more knowledgable about "whacking tiles up" and will realise there is a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Since the housing been ended in 2008, we had a big influx of people jumping into trades as they lost jobs.

I think now is about the time we're seeing jack of all trades, masters of non, starting to pack it in and realise its a lengthy learning curve or they just don't cut the mustard.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Can I just say... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Bathroom/bathtub walls were tiled to the ceiling and a shower screen was fitting. Tiler left...
Replies
Views
New here and no knowledge of professional tiling! I had one installer do three new bathrooms. He...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB