UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Can I tile on this in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Boogi

Instagram.

Hi all, I'f the above link works, can you have a look and tell me what you think, I have pulled one bathroom tile off the wall, and it looks like the person before me has tiled over wall paper. If I strip this all back does the plaster that's left look ok to tile on if I seal it first, it's not plasterboard? It's an old house. I'm not sure how the walls were finished back in the day!

B

bugs183

It's not a disaster so don't get stressed over it Boogi!
Tiling onto old walls like this is a real pain, and it will take so much more adhesive, time, patience and swear words to achieve even half of a decent job. They've been up a long time and they've done their job, but it's time for them to go.
I'd bite the bullet and strip all the areas you want tiling back to the brick/block. It sounds bad, but just bear with us all. Wire brush all the dust off, and then get a 5 litre bottle of SBR, water it down 2 parts water to one part SBR, and get a plant sprayer from b&Q etc and spray this over the walls, brush this in to the walls with a cheap wide paint brush. This with seal the walls and make everything new and nice.
Use 12.5mm plaster board or better still 10mm marmox boards (Insulation Express are really cheap and reliable), dab these on with board adhesive (lots of handy youtube vids). If you are short of space for the bath maybe you could board one wall and dab the other board over the roll of the bath.
This way you'll have lovely sound walls, that will be a million times easier than tiling on dodgy crumbly render or plaster.
Yep it'll add a few quid, and you'll have a bit of dust etc, but honestly go for it and you'll save a ton of agro when tiling.

B

bugs183

Marmox is fine to go straight onto, its waterproof, but if you really want to make it bombproof tape over the joints in the boards with waterproof tape, that way you've tanked your walls. No need to prime. Use a good quality cement based adhesive if you can.
Fix with board adhesive, not wall adhesive as it slump behind the board and not remain flat, plus board adhesive is dead cheap.
I'm not sure of the drying times of board adhesive,I'd say leave overnight if possible, it will tell you on the bag.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Can I tile on this in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.