Discuss Can it be true..... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Yeah I totally agree with you Dave. I usually have my joiners ply the floor before I arrive and then tile onto that but think maybe a better idea is to continue to have them ply the floor to ensure its deflection fre then use Dural on all floor jobs ceramic ,porcelain and stone then once again in my head I have the best of both worlds a strenghtned floor because ive used ply so verticle movent is eliminated and also because the membrane is on op of the ply the tiles are protected from any lateral movement AND its waterproofed.

Last edited:
D

Daz

Hi DavieA,

Your scenario is ideal, however, I think you may end up pricing yourself out of work due to over-specifing.

I use a decoupler for natural stone, regardless of substrate. For most ceramic and porcelain I just make sure that the floor is deflection free.

You need to asses each job and weigh up the possibility of lateral movement and, therefore, the use (or not) for a decoupling membrane.

IMO, there is no hard and fast rule for a decoupler, just common sense and risk assessment.

Hi Captain Slow, I realise its an expense i just want it to be right but suppose if your 100% sure of no vertical movement the matting could simply be layed on chipboard cutting cost. Dont see any need for backerboards in any floor application as they dont add strength to a floor and matting can be layed on ply if extra strength is needed or just onto chipboard if floor is sound.

Any thoughts ?

A

Aston

by installing backer boards onto ply only means that there is a more stable surface on which to tile...

the joists, ply/chip board, and backerboards on top, will/can still suffer from lateral movement, therefore, the decoupling membrane does a completely different role and protects the tile against lateral movement....

in short...

no matter how thick your joists and ply are, they can still suffer lateral (side to side) movement due to the joists lying on the inner skin of the brickwork of a wall...walls contract and expand continually throught the year, intial drying out process, ground movement and weather/temperature changes..

if you put backerboards onto ply, then this is not a substitute for a decoupling matt, its simply a more stable and compound surface in which to tile upon...

as mentioned in previous posts, deflection (up and down) movement, is a different movement than lateral (side to side) when you realise that, the decisions become more straightforward...

cheers
ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not happening anywhere near any of my jobs and they're all south :)

I know people who use it over floorboards but not chipboard.

How far South are you talking, because the sites I'm busy with at the moment ( M25 and South of ) are ALL chipboard with Dural, I've told several people of the dangers but that is the spec to which we have been told to work to, and this is off 3 major developers ( I won't mention names )

Am I happy doing it, knowing it might / will fail, no. But I get paid to do it ???

Hi Alan, glad to hear what I was hearing from topps is true. Don't understand why it should fail though, If floors solid ie no bounce and addy is suitable for use on chipboard such as keraflex then the Matt will bond well to the chipboard floor and with the Matt once layed waterproofs the sub so there is no way the chipboard will get wet and fail. I believe that's the reason chipboard is not ideal for tiling directly on to is its susceptibility to swelling if it ever gets wet and coming apart but like I said after the matting is installed floors then waterproofed and water shouldn't be able to reach the subfloor.
Maybe its because were not used to this method were unsure but if you break it down it makes sense.
I think your the only tiler Alan that has said they have layed a floor this way on the fourm, how are you finding the installs?:thumbsup: or :thumbsdown:

Hi Alan, glad to hear what I was hearing from topps is true. Don't understand why it should fail though, If floors solid ie no bounce and addy is suitable for use on chipboard such as keraflex then the Matt will bond well to the chipboard floor and with the Matt once layed waterproofs the sub so there is no way the chipboard will get wet and fail. I believe that's the reason chipboard is not ideal for tiling directly on to is its susceptibility to swelling if it ever gets wet and coming apart but like I said after the matting is installed floors then waterproofed and water shouldn't be able to reach the subfloor.
Maybe its because were not used to this method were unsure but if you break it down it makes sense.
I think your the only tiler Alan that has said they have layed a floor this way on the fourm, how are you finding the installs?:thumbsup: or :thumbsdown:

Floors are no way solid, they are nailed and not screwed down, so another problem, we don't use adhesive, we use glue. As for the installs, the first lot that I / we did have been down a year or so with no phone calls, YET. As I said, I'm not happy doing it but as part of a larger picture, I'm not turning down hundreds of houses, the guy I subbie to is aware, the builder is aware, what to do,what would you do ?

Reply to Can it be true..... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Morning all, I have been looking through the forum for a post which offers a similar situation...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Scotland

Thread Information

Title
Can it be true.....
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.