UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Can Sterling Board be tiled on? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Martinf

Hiya

I've been asked to tile onto 12 mm sterling board which has been used to create a new wall. The board is pretty solid (no movement), but I'm finding that the tiles won't stay up, even though the board has been sealed with 3 coats of PVA.

I've since been advised by a tile supplier that sterlingboard can't be tiled on because of the resin used to make the board.

Has anyone come across this problem before or do you know of a good primer/sealant that would allow me tile onto the existing sterling board (the only other option I can think of is to get the walled lined with ply on top of the sterling board and then tile on top of that.)

Thanks

Martin

M

Matty A

Welcome to the forum martin,
As far as im aware the tile supplier is correct also pva isnt really the thing to prime your walls with, you should really use a recomended primer from your local tile supplier, i would suggest that you remove the board and replace plasterboard or screw plasterboard to it also i think due to the glue used to make the sterling that stops the adhesive grabbing almost like a non stick coating, hope this helps.

M

Martinf

Thanks guys for the replies and advice.

I concur re the PVA - unfortunately the builder decided to use it as a "cost-effective" (cheap) option - much the same reasoning behind using sterling board. I've now spoken with the manufacterers and have definitive advice that sterling board is not a suitable base for tiling, even if it's smothered in primer. The builder is going to reline the walls with pasterboard, so problem solved.

Martin

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Can Sterling Board be tiled on? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.