Discuss can we think of any ways the gov in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

That is a good idea Gary.

The only problem there is it would be a bit like the Student Loans. If you stay on a low income for 30 years you don't pay a penny back and the loan is written off.

One idea I like is the lifetime mortgages. A bit like renting but you own your own house, so you have security of tenure etc. It would work like a normal mortgage so you could pay all or some of it off if circumstances permit, or pay none bar the interest.

When you don't need it anymore, if there is and outstanding debt then that is settled at the point of sale.

At the moment there is this expectation to pay off the balance.

C

cornish_crofter

As for tiling as a trade. The problem is that professional tilers are seen as people who do bespoke floors etc, not people who may do kitchens and bathrooms.

There aint enough publicity out there for tilers doing the simpler household job. Lets face it we all know that painters and decorators will come in and paint your house for you. A lot of people who can't or won't decorate their house will call them in for quotes.

Sadly, the same is not true for tilers to the same extent. In my experience people get a builder or handyman in to tile, rather than look up 'tiler' in yellow pages.

As far as site work is concerned. Much of what you see in newbuilds will be done by labourers etc, rather than the site manager getting a tiler in.

Bathroom fitters are often non gas safety plumbers who have learnt to tile. The plumber I use to use was chuffed to bits with his shower cubicle. I thought 'plumber you may be, tiler you aint'

Lets face it - punters get a plasterer in to plaster, an electrician in to do the electrics but they seem to go to any of the above EXCEPT a tiler for tiling. That's MAD!

THAT is what is wrong with the industry.

.....and that is because all the DIY manuals make tiling look easy. It isn't - well not if you want a good job anyway.

turnip

TF
Arms
As far as site work is concerned. Much of what you see in newbuilds will be done by labourers etc, rather than the site manager getting a tiler in.
Not true at all, just looks that way,but alot of site tilers should know alot better! they will work to the lowest acceptable standard at all times.

(working to a high standard on site can backfire if the builder wants to hold up payment they will always find something in the way of snags, sometimes best to give them some obvious snags and meet their minimum standard).

During recessions it is alot harder to get/keep work and sometimes you got to be dog-eat-dog and think outside the box to get new custom, I dont envy all you lot doing 100% domestic work, even though you get paid quicker?

I always found that the general public are well aware when they need a tiler, theres always cheapskates out there but its also how you sell yourself.

Reply to can we think of any ways the gov in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Go easy on me. I've spent ages sorting these out for the forums. But I do want some feedback so...
Replies
Views
P
    • Funny
Hello tilers, I'm new to this forum - I've been lurking for a couple of days now reading lots...
Replies
Views
P
  • Article
If you've been on any of the Goldtrowel Tiling Courses then please leave feedback and reviews in...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, hope that someone might be able to help. We are currently in the process of tiling our...
Replies
Views
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
can we think of any ways the gov
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.