Discuss Can you ! Work this out ! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
1m3 of 1:3 factory mixed mortar will contain in the region of 450kg of op cement. Based on 25kg per bag that is 18 bags. Allowing for wastage overdosing etc your 20bags should be not too far off the mark.

dont use multiverse type cement that has an air entrainer in it cos this makes awful mortar. FEB plasticiser and retarder makes a much creamier mix.

your other option is to buy it ready mixed which would not usually be much more expensive and takes all the labour and error out of mixing.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

1m3 of 1:3 factory mixed mortar will contain in the region of 450kg of op cement. Based on 25kg per bag that is 18 bags. Allowing for wastage overdosing etc your 20bags should be not too far off the mark.

dont use multiverse type cement that has an air entrainer in it cos this makes awful mortar. FEB plasticiser and retarder makes a much creamier mix.

your other option is to buy it ready mixed which would not usually be much more expensive and takes all the labour and error out of mixing.

I must admit mate when i mix my own render/screed i only ever use OPC and i add my own additives , i see young-uns all the time with bags of cement with pre-mixed additives Then addig more of there own without thinking about overdosing the mix ,and additives working agains each other ,....... i see it all the time !!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I must admit mate when i mix my own render/screed i only ever use OPC and i add my own additives , i see young-uns all the time with bags of cement with pre-mixed additives Then addig more of there own without thinking about overdosing the mix ,and additives working agains each other ,....... i see it all the time !!

That's why most of the house bashers use trowel ready mortars these days. The numpty factor is removed. I must admit I have always mixed my own as well but I used to sell trowel ready. It's generally good stuff provided it is from a quality supplier.

i did have a go with castle cements multicrete cement once. It was horrible stuff. Completely Lifeless and it bled like mad. It depends on the sand as to how goodies. At least if you use your own additives you can adjust things to fit..

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

That's why most of the house bashers use trowel ready mortars these days. The numpty factor is removed. I must admit I have always mixed my own as well but I used to sell trowel ready. It's generally good stuff provided it is from a quality supplier.

i did have a go with castle cements multicrete cement once. It was horrible stuff. Completely Lifeless and it bled like mad. It depends on the sand as to how goodies. At least if you use your own additives you can adjust things to fit..

Yep old school here , i select and check sand, and control my own additives then i know what i'am working with has been used for years, but i have also kept -up to speed with new developments ! and quite often used pre-baged modified renders , and as you say no mixing elements so keeps the numpty factor out of it LOL .....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
According to my readers digest basic guide, 3 parts coarse sand to 1 part cement table then 1 cubic m of sand requires (to the next bag up) 8 x 50 kg. bags of cement.

but if you are buying sand in the big bags which are supposed to be 1 tonne in weight then you will find the volume of sand is (roughly 0.8 x 0.8 x 0.8) only about 0.5 cubic meters

Coarse sand for mortar... Yuk! I like my mortar soft and creamy personally.... How can mortar sound that pervy??

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
a cubic m bag of sand weighs a tonne doesnt it ? thats 1000kg so i make it 333kgs of cement so 14 bags rounded up unless i am wrong on the weight of a one tonne bag of sand

No mate. A cubic meter is soft sand weighs in at around 1.5 tonnes.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Can you ! Work this out ! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately the tiler did not follow the manufactures instructions for mixing up the two part...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB