Discuss Can't believe what just happened in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SandyFloor

I had a customer booked in for a couple of weeks ago to floor her extension but she had to postpone due to it transpiring the builders had put a screw through a pipe and the slab under the floor was soaked. Anyway she called me earlier and asked me to pop round as she was concerned the builders had butchered the chipboard floor too much to enable dehumidifiers to do their job. Much of the chipboard had been lifted and although it looked dry she said there was still some dampness and she knew because she'd used divining rods to check. At this point she produced these two L shaped wired she'd knocked together herself. I immediately thought I had a right headcase with with me.

Obviously my skeptisism was showing in my face and instead of her telling me gave me the rods which I held out in front of me and walked about the room and sure enough in certain areas the rods swung into each other quite decisively. I made a note of where this happened and popped out to get a damp meter and tested various areas.........the rods were spot on. The areas where the rods swung in gave a high reading and where they didn't gave a low reading. I could even use the rods to find the heating pipes concealed under the floor which I confirmed afterwards by looking under the floor. I mean where there was a pipe the rods swung into each other quite sharply and then swung back as I kept walking.

Now I am skeptical to say the least but this has really got me. I know divining has no scientific grounding but I didn't know where the dampness or pipes were and this method found it all. A weird freaky half hour but amusing.

U

user123

Same thing as Mike happened to me... when I sold the cottage in Cornwall there was an issue with the land drains that had been there for well over a hundred years, into the neighbouring field etc, and the Dad of the future potential buyer approached me with these L-shaped bent wires stuck into biro casings, and said to me, I have a feeling you can do this, find the pipes! I thought oh WHAT???? You don't argue with the Dad of the person who is maybe buying your house!! Thought he was completely potty, I ask him what I'm supposed to be doing and he says just criss cross the garden, walking up to the boundary wall and see what happens! He followed me and sure enough , those wires swang together at certain points, I didn't do a thing, I swear, as if hit by a magnetic impulse, the man just followed me and put markers on thoes spots, and sure enough, the markers added up to two lines which shoed EXACTLY where those pipes were, couldn't believe it!! Wonderful stuff. I have used dowsing loads since, basically to find almost anything I am looking for, like the hole in the ground in the garden where the rotary drier was previously and it had all grown over,and even to find my keys in the house, basically following the dominant wire that tells me to go left or right.. so weird, I know :lol: and sometimes I have used the pendulum when I wasn't quite sure which medicinal herb would be better or worse etc etc... it just works, and still I am surprised ever time, I don't feel I don't do anything at all. You're not the only weird one here, Sandy :thumbsup:

E

easyt

I have used divining rods to locate water, gas and electricity mains on a number of occasions. I did a little trial with 16 people -some at work and other friends and family. 12 people were able to do it, 4 were not.

The first time I used it was in a field adjacent to a sewage works construction site. I was working as site engineer for the contractor and the location of a sewer pipe laid the previous year by the engineer I replaced had been lost. I went to have a natter to the resident engineer and he passed me two bent pieces of welding rod an told me how to locate it. I wasn't sure if it was a leg pull ;). It worked well - the sewer was over two metres down.

Reply to Can't believe what just happened in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I'm new to here but have picked up some good information from other threads but need a...
Replies
Views
Gazzer
G
F
Hi all, I could really use some help with preparing my kitchen floor for tiling. I have taken...
Replies
Views
bugs183
B
S
HI All Dont know if this should be posted here but I dont know what to put it under so if it...
Replies
Views
micko
M
C
our floor tiles have started making a crunching sound. Pulling them up is not an option. Is...
Replies
Views
Rookery
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Can't believe what just happened
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.