Discuss cant compete in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Somerset
I can understand everyone feeling miffed at low quotes. However, some business(wo)men work out the budget for the year, predicting all costs, then looking to what the work demand profile is likely to be during the year. If you employ 4 tilers at £10/hour then you pay that come rain or shine - if you know Jan-March has few jobs, then a job at £6.50 per sq m pays more than not doing the job. As the year progresses and more work around, they up their prices and recover their losses from earlier in the year.

Shops do this a lot - sell off stock very cheap during lean times to encourage any purchase, but bump the prices up when demand rises.

Somerset
i dont know any tilers who would work for 10.00 /hour .i deffo wont,

so you would be willing to work for 6.50 a m2 if you had nothing else on, ?

Lol - £10 per hour - my wife and I are currently paying ourselves £5 an hour from the business. Of course our children have left home, and we have very few commitments, and some savings - but we only pay ourselves what the company can afford. If you can afford to pay yourself more than £10 an hour then I think you are doing better than me at the moment!

I will not do tiling work for £6.50/sq m because I would lose too much money on the job, but I know tilers who would. My sister-in-law had her bathroom floor re-tiled for £120. That included removing bathroom cupboard units, bath panel, toilet, existing tiles, re-tiling 3 sq m with granite composite, grout silicone and replacing toilet, cupboards and bath panel. She only supplied the tiles. Now you can see what we are up against locally.

J

johnryan

even if i was hard up for work, i wouldn't take a job like that at that price. you'd be pushing yourself too hard every day to get your meterage up enough to make money, over a long period. if you got others in to help, would they cover their wages? also, if you've committed to it, you may end up losing other better paid work while you're on that job. that's a very low price, and i'm thinking somethings not right about it. are they just opening negotiations with you to try to get you drop your price a bit, or have they actually given the job to them? i priced a kitchen floor with 600x600, and i went in at 18m2 which i thought was very low as i wanted the job for other reasons, but would normally charge 26m2 for those types of tiles. just my thoughts anyway. it just seems very strange having a price that low. hard to believe.

Somerset
dont worry mate move on there are people willing to work for peanuts hope they mess it up i also did a quote last week 27mts 600x 600 polished porcelain kitchen floor supply adhesive and grout and 3 door trims priced it at £650 someone quoted £390 all in madness good luck to them it worked out around £8 a mtr after materials!:mad2:

Shop around for materials - I reckon I could keep the material costs to £100, then rate is £10.74 psm. Still very low, but 2 12 hour days should see most of the work done. Thats a day rate of about £145. Guess we gotta be prepared to work longer days for no more pay!

Reply to cant compete in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views
Bit of an intro - I'm a competent DIYer and have been refurbing the bathroom on and off for the...
Replies
Views
L
S
Ok so just putting this out there for a mate of mine to see if anyone would like to take on...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

rotherham

Thread Information

Title
cant compete
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.