UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Carrie-ann in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hultint

HI... to ALL in CYBER SPACE!

CAN ANYONE ADVISE...ASAP!!! NEED HELP on cleaning a rather large PATIO 100 sq m.!! Dont think its been cleaned in years... although was told it was jet washed at some time. Well I am in the process of karchering it at the mo... taking care of mortar around but all really need to be repointed anyway so that is not the main prob. Under the trees they are as they should be a natural coloured sandstone/york stone colour.... and then they go black. Where I have cleaned they are now showing the original sandstone colour but still masses of black bits on it... (not litchen) No idea what! Yes the Are covered with lichens algae etc. you name it and we live by the river so.... Right .....have tried to bleach with Oxi-Clean on a couple of slabs and normal bleach on others where plants are not near ... Result is zilch.....with both V.odd!!!!!! Has anyone any advice..... Some idiot suggested Coka Cola!!! Can you imagine... I'd need a lorry load.....let alone the shock to any poor plants! No I dont want to paint them.... there must be a way to bleach them up....????? Am grafting and grafting.... and at least getting rid of worst residue.... My hubby is disabled so need to get this sorted asap as cant have him slipping as is very dangerous at mo.... as his walking is very bad and also as WATER HOSE BAN is coming 4th APRIL and wont be able to use it..... !!! EEEK!!! What about hyddrochloric acid... mind you will probably gas myself... ANY IDEAS FOLKS WOULD BE GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED! First time I have written on a Forum so..... lets see if all this works.... the wonders of technology! Hope I havent forgotten anything..... rEGARDS... CA:mad2:

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

use a brick cleaner water this down 20 % cleaner 80% water try a small area see if this works claen off with plenty of fresh water you may have to a just the mix to suit the stain only use in small test area to test that you dont damage the stone .once happy you have got the right mix work wash over using a broom claen off with plenty of clean water .you may be better off getting a tiler to look at this for you .ps always were safty glases and rubber gloves.

H

hultint

Thanks Ray! Great minds think alike! Was thinking of that too... !!! Drove to my nearest Jewsons who just had closed earlier today.... before posting this....B. useless and couldnt bear to drive to nearest town.... so will pick up on Mon & give it a try.... Agree seems a bit harsh as think these are pretty old... but obviously as the grime is so inset it needs something stronger than bleach! As you obviously well know... its finding the right product and trial and error. Half the patio cleaners etc in the domestic market are useless...!! Keep fingers crossed! Back I go again to Karchering !!! Enormous area! At least its a beautiful day! Thanks again... CA

H

hultint

Thanks Dave... Will Do!! Before I started they looked more like dark grey slate, (which they are not) but obviously covered with litchen and gawd knows what. Half way thru Karchering which had to happen as they were so slippery and Viking Husband to worry about, they look horrible as neither one thing or other. If acid works I will have to somehow seal them with something as guess they are very pourous.... or will be back where I started if not careful.... but thats if it works! If not will have to resurface them or something....and back to the slate grey.... but whatever an even colour.... ! All good fun!! Grrrr.... Thanks for replying again... All the best from CA at Up the Creek! Applicable name of house me thinks! Cos I am!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Carrie-ann in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

S
Hi Guys, What would you al recommend for cleaning up and bringing back red quarries to as good...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
Hi all Please advise needed if possible. How can i fix grout that has dried different shades. It...
2 3
Replies
Views
MW Smith Ceramics
M
O
.....I have a repeat client that has just had a good size kitchen extension built and I am...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
K
Please help - I know nothing about paving/tiling....!! We have just had some sandstone paving...
Replies
Views
K
Hello, I have just grouted my new tiles and after 3 days it has started to go yellow in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.