Discuss cement backer board in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

celt

Just seeing a clip on youtube where a guy was showing how to install floor tiles and he was using a cement backer board ontop of a concrete/sand cement floor. Im wondering how common is this. The reason why i ask this is that when working on site all these years, i have never once seen a tiler lay the cement backer board then tiles over it. Its always on top of the screed or ontop of plywood if its ontop of joists.

C

celt

You should only add the right amount of water to the mix--IE a per makers instructions ........ :9:

Yeah sure everyone stands over a bucket with the exact amount of water for a mix lol. Ive been plastering x amount of years and your suppose to use x amount of water for a mix but ive yet to see anyone measure it out. You mix untill you see the right consistency of the mix, same in the tiling world ;)

C

Concrete guy

I used to use Aquapanel over screeds to make up large height discrepancies for fast track installation.

I once did a job where two rooms had been knocked into one and there was a 1" discrepancy in height between the slabs. I used two layers of 12.5mm aquapanel glued with rapidset flexi and was able to start tiling later the same day.

This will only work if the slabs are flat, cement board isn't a replacement for screeds or SLC but it can be used to solve problems on the odd job.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Diamond Pool Finishers

All adhesives should be mixed according to the manufactures specification ! usually in the mixing instructions on the bag if you add to much water you will make the adhesive weaker,also if there are any issues with the installation and the adhesive is tested then it would show -up and you would be at fault for not mixing correctly !! and liable for any replacement's .......

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Ive always found dave when mixing to instructions they can be a bit vague
Ie - some say someting like
' mix with 4/5 litres of water' or ' to a smooth creamy consistency'
Personally ive never measured water in my working life to mix owt, turn on tap , fill bucket, put powder in, mix with stick and poss lumps out ( im going back, arr the good old days with no wisk :) )
Same with grout, people go on about measuring out water cos you will get colour wrong ect ect ect , not once have i measured it .
Only time i gauge is when rendering, and not water

beanz

TF
Berkshire
All adhesives should be mixed according to the manufactures specification ! usually in the mixing instructions on the bag if you add to much water you will make the adhesive weaker,also if there are any issues with the installation and the adhesive is tested then it would show -up and you would be at fault for not mixing correctly !! and liable for any replacement's .......

Im sure they'll always find a way out of being held responsible anyway lol!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to cement backer board in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just wondered what would be best? The original tiles had a few hairline cracks from the house...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've just seen patches of tile backer board with patches where something looks to have...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB