Discuss Ceramic metro tiles cracking on wall in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Hannah

Hi there,

I am at a loss about how to go about figuring out the reason over 50 tiles on the wall of my newly installed shower have cracked.

The tiler has been round and was non-committal about the reasons. Hopefully you guys can help.

The bathroom was finished 3 months ago and within weeks of it being finished. I noticed that an arc of tiles had cracked. Since then, further tiles have cracked. I will try and upload some photos.

The wall initially had a door in it that was boxed in, to include shelves, with moisture resistant board which was then plastered and tiled. Where the initial tiles cracked, the tiler had built up a dip in the wall with bal rapid set flexible adhesive, so initially, we thought this was the problem, but more cracks appeared. Could it be that the wall wasn't fully dried prior to tiling? Or the timbers used to build the frames weren't fully dry and have warped?

There is a staircase running on the wall behind the tiled wall, so maybe the vibrations are causing the problem?

Any information would be gratefully received!!

Thanks in advance,

Hannah

It sounds as though there's a pattern to the cracks, what's behind the pattern that's causing movement. I get the impression that the studwork isn't completely stable and secure, and it definitely shouldn't have been built requiring filling in. The studwork would normally be dry enough, so shouldn't have warped. Is ALL the cracking around the area where the wall was built up using the adhesive - definitely not a good idea, and could well be the cause of the problem. Who did the studwork.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Ceramic metro tiles cracking on wall in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I had my bathroom tiled about 5 months ago and yesterday I noticed cracking in the...
Replies
Views
Afternoon everyone, just after a bit of advice on preparing some walls for ceramic, possibly...
Replies
Views
Hi looking for advise regarding cracked wall tiles on an internal wall. I had a new bathroom...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB